Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stupid question regarding string action

this is indeed a stupid question..... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    basically, if i want to adjust the action on a floating trem loaded guitar, should i remove the string tension (= take off the strings) before doing it, or can i just adjust the action with the guitar set up?
    i've been told that adjusting it without removing the trension can damage the trem posts, but on the other hand, adjusting it this way is just guesswork, isn't it.....adjust it, put strings back on, action too high, take strings off, lower action, put strings back on, action too low......etc

Re: stupid question regarding string action

I wonder this myself. I would think that if you only did it once it shouldn't hurt it. I guess repeatedly doing this could hurt the posts.
    Scott
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

I've been doing this on my guitars for years....had no idea it could hurt the posts! Nothing noticeable has happened to my guitars though so I think you should be safe....seems like way too much of a pain in the ass to have to restring it after every adjustment.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        I've been doing this on my guitars for years....had no idea it could hurt the posts! Nothing noticeable has happened to my guitars though so I think you should be safe....seems like way too much of a pain in the ass to have to restring it after every adjustment.

[/ QUOTE ]

+1

Comment

aren't the postes inside threaded inserts, that are made of metal? It's not like you're going to do it all the time and wear parts out; once you fine your setting, it's set, save a few minor tweaks here and there.

i think going all kerry king with the bar provides far more punishment for the parts involved.
          www.WarCurse.com

Comment

it's the knife edges on the trem, and the spot where the knife edges make contact with the posts that tend to wear out, but, I don't think that it's going to hurt it either

Comment

there was something on jemsite about taking the pressure off one side of the trem before doing it, but i never had any probs in the 6 years i've been playing.

Comment

I have adjusted lots of mine. No big deal if you ask me - I have never loosened the strings. Just loosen the locking nut - thats all I have ever done. Never had a problem and most of the time I don't even need to retune them.
                PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

I've had problems on a couple guitars, namely on ones where the allen size you fit into the posts can be stripped. Typically on Ibanez Edge or JT6's, the allen pocket and wrench is larger diameter, but there are those that use a smaller wrench similar to the lock downs.

In fact I recently bought this Vantage Korean version of Mason Bernards MB-1 that had a gotoh floyd and the posts were like a 3mm-3.5mm allen adjustment. It had alot of resistance in being adjusted, very hard to turn with tension on it..so at the risk of not stripping out the posts ability to be adjusted with an allen or the socket.. I had to loosen the strings. I have had some BC Rich's have the same issue on their Gotoh floyds.

The posts and knife edges are pretty hardened stuff..and if you're making a 1/4-3/4 turn..no biggie unless yo face alot of stiff resistance. They do turn alot easier with reduced tension..certainly can't hurt to detune it.

Comment

While adjusting action with string tensicn DOES increase wear on the knife edges (if only minimally), i still do action setupos strung to pitch for 2 reasons

1. it´s IMHO almost impossible to do properly otherwise
                    2. If you´re not resetting the action on a weekly basis, there should be no adverse side effects.

Comment

Working...
                    X