1991 Limited edition archtop soloist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1991 Limited edition archtop soloist

I have the rare opportunity to purchase a very rare orange-sunburst flame maple top archtop soloist with gold hardware and "double" sharkfin inlays. Can anyone give me any information about this guitar? I would like to know what it is worth on the resale market before I sink all of my cash into it. It looks just like this one:

http://www.jcfonline.com/gallery/jac...-106-jason.jpg

Any information will be much appreciated. Thanks for reading my post. [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Re: 1991 Limited edition archtop soloist

Only 200 were slated for production. That guitar is the finest import ever made by Jackson. The "double" shark fin inlays refer to the fact that they used both mother of pearl and abalone in the design. The logo is also abalone. Originally came with Reflex Silver Series active humbuckers, gold hardware, Schaller trem, 24 jumbo frets, ebony board. I would estimate the worth to be in the vicinity of $700 - $800 with case and in excellent condition. If you don't want it, drop me an email, I'll take it!
    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
    Gotta get away from here.
    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Thanks for your speedy reply. Your information is accurate concerning the specs of the guitar, except I am pretty sure that it is a rosewood fretboard. It is a dark chocolate-brown wood with a broader grain than that of my USA SL-1, which has an ebony (pitch black) board. I have to agree with you that this is probably one of the finest imports I have ever seen... I actually originally thought it was USA custom shop. Just goes to show that "american made" does not always mean "better"... such is the case with Czechoslovakian Deans (Which I own four of and will not part with!). Borrowing the Archtop soloist for a week to preview it has been a pleasure and has opened my eyes to Soloist Archtops. They are some of the most creme de la creme instruments out there.

Is there a blue book for these guitars? Or is your estimate of the value based upon sales that you have seen in the recent past?

Thanks again for the information! [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

The guitar in the link belongs to Audiophile, a fellow JCF member and brotha.
        I think the fretboard is Pao Ferro, but he would know better than I since he has one.

Putting a fair-market value on it is tough. I’ve long since wanted one, but these guitars NEVER come up for sale.
        This is probably the rarest Jackson production model ever made and I highly doubt Jackson made
        all 200 as planned. Audiophile’s Limited is the only one I have ever seen.
        (And the bastard won’t sell it to me, dammit! j/k)

I’d say jump on it! But if you don’t want it, and Joe passes on it (Ha!), I’d kill for it.
        I’ve got all sorts of goodies I would trade for it.

Eric

Comment

haha, ok...
          Fretboard is Brazilian Rosewood...
          Heres all the info accumulated...
          http://audi0phile.home.mindspring.com/j/soloist3.htm
          I couldn't imagine it goin for less than a grand or more, impossible to find, rarest of rare.
          Since they never come up for sale, there's no statistical value, dunno what book value would say. (list was most expensive Jackson for that year I believe, including pure US custom shop base price)
          Price would be high based on what it is, what it has, its historical significance, and rarity, as well as price could be low based on demand for an import that no one really knows anything about.

When I saw mine up, I was like what is this, I wanted import archtops, but this one was different. I even asked Eric (aka Archtop above) what I should do, and his reply was 'I dunno'. LMAO.
          I got near zero 'GET IT!' support from him, and fired the gun for hell of it. Eh eric, you remem me askin you? haha So we were clueless and in this case we were part of the 'no demand' aspect since theres really no info to compare to and research had to be done from scratch. Glad I fired, yes.

Well, I would sell mine for arm n leg, so translate that into $..

I know of 3 (i guess 4 now) in existence, only seen 2 (one is mine)
          Lemme know what # it is, and get me some pics so I can add to page..(even if you don't buy)

BTW, Them other guys dont really want it, so just lemme have it if you don't [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] and feel free to email me if you need any more info on it. [email protected]
          or AIM dualEMG81

dam edit to add more n more

[ April 08, 2003, 02:31 AM: Message edited by: audiophile ]

Comment

I've never even heard of this model!
            What an interesting thread!

[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Those things are sweet!! I remember seeing ads for them in guitar mags back in the day, I wish I still had those.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Beautiful guitar, the gold hardware looks awesome there!. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
                Facebook - Youtube

Comment

Is there a blue book for these guitars? I am still trying to figure out what it is worth before I buy it. Thanks again.

Comment

There is no Blue Book for them, as was stated above. They are too rare and not very often sold to establis a blue book value - it's worth whatever you are willing to pay and whatever someone is willing to let it go for.

On one hand you could argue that because it is a small-production import (Japanese made), that it is of lesser value, but one could also argue that because of the high quality and rarity, it is worth more.

Make an offer to the owner and see if he takes it - if he takes $500, fine, if he wants $1000, then he will generally not part with it for less (as it is with all sellers).

Newc
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Question for Audiophile-

I was looking at the pics of the two archtops on your page as well as the brochures. Great information and very nice jpegs! I noticed that the brochures show the guitars with "Reflex" pickups but both of the ones in the jpegs have what appear to be passive humbuckers installed. The one I am looking at belongs to the original owner who replaced the Reflex active pickups with Duncan JB and Jazz. Did the Reflex pickups suck? I was considering searching for a pair to bring the guitar back to original, but I won't bother if they suck.

PS. I plan to get some high res jpegs of the Archtop. I can email them to you if you are interested.

Thanks again for the info!

Comment

Well, mine came with Duncan '59 SH1's neck and bridge installed but I still received the original electronics.
                        I intended to restore to stock but cannot for the life of me get a schematic or just a cavity photo(the few times I've tried) So mine has been sitting naked for some time now.
                        As far as the tone is concerned, I've heard varying opinions, but all are close to an EMG81 maybe noisier, crunchy n good for metal. Since I haven't had personal experience, I really couldn't say. I do know quite a few Custom Shop Jacksons came with them, so they aren't or weren't crud for the era.
                        And they can be had for near cheap $50 for a dual hummer setup is only ebay reference I see now.
                        http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=22670

Joe (charvel750), I believe, has 1 or more loaded with them so he'd know best as to tonal response. Mebbe a good review say in comparison to an 81 or other EMG. Urth to Joe, come in Joe.

So, I take it you are gonna get it. Coolness. I'm anxious to see it. Ya, do send me some pics, email link in a post above, or thru link on my site.

Comment

Reflex pickups were made in England and used by Jackson as an upgrade in the early 1990's. For most models, this was a $200 upgrade. Asking if they sucked or not is not a valid question, for they were high caliber pickups. Tone is subjective, I like the Reflex Silver series and own a few models, NOS by the way. They are active pickups that normally were linked to the "black box" which was the circuit. The cool thing about Reflex pickups is that (with the box) they could be wired to do a variety of things depending on how you actually wired them up. You could wire them for active mid boost (like the Jackson JE-1200 circuit) or for treble cut/boost and bass cut/boost (similar to the EMG PA2), and other possibilites.
                          "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                          Gotta get away from here.
                          Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                          Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

I've got a Stealth Pro from 92 with the Reflex silvers H/S/S and I love it. They sound great and better and quieter than EMG's They have a more passive charactor to them then EMG's do to my ears anyway and thats what matters so [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                            Anyway I came across a set of Reds H/S/S all pre wired and ready to go. I just ogt to decide where to put them (in which guitar I mean). I had them in one I sold but yanked them out before I sold it. I just want to drill any holes in my other guitars to install all three pots for full control. But in that JB Player they were in they sounded great. Real fat and full like a Les Paul when the midrange was boosted and clean and suttle like an acoustic when clean. Great pups if i can find more Im buying them. Nuff said.
                            Gil

Comment

I can tell you this much about one. I know a used store in Minnesota sold one TODAY for $799. It was on their web-site for 2 hours!

Comment

Working...
                              X