Jackson Pro Roswell vs Grover Jackson Roswell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson Pro Roswell vs Grover Jackson Roswell

Ok, here's a head-to-head comparison of two identical models from two different markets (something I haven't seen around here, though I could be mistooken).
    Anyways, let's start with the specs:
    Both are made in Japan at the same shop - one for the Japanese market only and one for the rest of the world. Both have 22 frets, single hum, single volume, rosewood board, bolt-on neck (no neck plate), tunamagic bridge. The Grover has a GroverJackson logoed pickup (with cover) and the Pro has an uncovered Duncan Designed - both kick ass like a real Duncan [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    The Grover has a stopbar tailpiece, and the Pro has strings-through.
    The Grover has the standard Jackson pointy head and plastic inlays, and the Pro has the Roswell head and crop circles.
    Both are sweet fast players with low action.
    Here's the funny part - the Grover balances better! Even with the same strap on both guitars (to eliminate the possibility of one strap being stickier than the other), the Grover sits at the angle you put it, but the Pro will always level out like a Strat.
    The strap pins *appear* to be in identical locations, but all I can figure is that the Pro has more headmass. Or maybe the stopbar is heavier than it appears?

Either way, both are total smokers. The fintips are in similar condition, so if I decide to swap necks it'd be a decision based solely on whether I prefer a stopbar or stringthrough.

I had an idea of making a Rhoads-style V-plate and control plate, getting a brass bridge, knob, metal pickup ring, and gold tuners - a PCS Roswell! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Though the idea of putting a Floyd on it is tempting [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Re: Jackson Pro Roswell vs Grover Jackson Roswell

Quit bragging! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
      That wasn't my intention, honest [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      I really don't recall seeing anyone do a direct head-to-head comparison of a Grover Jackson and Jackson Pro model. I know Xenophobe has/had a GJ Fusion, but I don't recall if he said he had a Fusion XL to go with it. I'd like to find an SLS to compare to my NASL, though.

Newc
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

RacerX is just teasing you dude!

I think it's useful. I kinda dislike the whole Grover Jackson thing, it's just me though, the logo looks plain horrible to my eyes.

Anyone else have both versions of the same guitar?

Rock on! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]
        Facebook - Youtube

Comment

Yeah the Grover Jackson logo is kinda odd and annoying sometimes - makes it seem like a "knockoff" brand - but I could live with it on a neckthrough if I had to [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc

Comment

Cool comparison dude [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
            I regret buying mine just cos i can't play on a TOM. I thought i'd eventualy get used to it, but no go, it just digs in my palm real bad. I've been thinking of modding it lately by putting a floyd on it as well as a neck pickup. But it will probably just hang on my wall t'ill the day i die, lol. I do play it, but it's pretty damn rare. I would love to see someone "bengalize" one of these babies, i think it would look killer on this body. If i ever find a real cheap black one that's been beaten to hell, i'd buy it just to bengalize it, then i'd have 2 of em hanging on my wall, lol.
            cheers [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

If you're used to a lighter touch required with a Floyd, how is the t.o.m. digging into your palm?

Anyhow, I've got a few ideas for graphics for a Roswell - Space, Alien Pile O' Skulls, Tommyknocker Green Rhoads Pinstripes, Pile O' Data Heads [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc

Comment

I couldn't adjust to a TOM either. For me, it was mostly a palm-muting issue, but that's a big problem for my playing style. I was cutting up the side of my hand. I sold my AT2T and Dean EVO because of this, and cancelled my SL2GX and KVX10 orders for the same reason. I stick with Floyds or fixed bridges now.
                sigpic

Comment

Cutting up the side of your hand!!! wow dude! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

You should try a little prozac before playin' [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Just joking,

Cheers [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                  Facebook - Youtube

Comment

Yup, can't explain why, but right where the post is on the T.O.M just digs in the side of my hand, but a fixed bridge or non recessed floyd doesn't do that to me at all, probably cos they don't really stick out of the body like a T.O.M does. Same as Inazone, only when i palm mute does it bug me, which is a big deal for me, as it is a big part of my playing style. Not to the point of cutting me up, but impossible to do fast runs while i palm mute. Well, NEWC, if ya refin one, i hope you post pics as soon as it's done.
                    [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] cheers

Comment

How 'bout pokey dots and bowties?
                      [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Newc

Comment

Working...
                      X