Replacing broken saddle inserts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing broken saddle inserts?

I have a growing number of broken string saddle inserts for the Schaller Floyds on my Hamers, and I can't get the broken inserts out of the saddles. I also noticed that on my intact saddles, there is a small (presumably) brass bass on the saddle, which I am guessing keeps the insert from falling out; the saddles with broken inserts do not have this brass part.

I have three questions in this situation. First, would I be better off just replacing the entire saddles at this point? Second, is there a good way to extract the broken inserts? They are all cracked and will not come out using just a needle-nosed pliers or small screwdriver. Lastly, what is the difference between low, medium and high saddles as listed on some parts sites? AllParts.Com lists all three, and I have no idea which is right. Again, these are saddles from Schaller Floyds that were factory-installed on Hamers.
    sigpic

Re: Replacing broken saddle inserts?

i wouldn't replace the saddles if you don't have to. you may try soaking the saddles in WD-40 or some liquid wrench overnight. i use six of the smallest size glad tupperware pieces (about the size of an egg, maybe?) and mark each one with the corresponding string name (easier to keep them in the correct order) and let them soak for a bit. after they've soaked a while, you may be able to get them out with a little screwdriver. i don't really have a secret tip on getting them out; maybe someone else does.

the height difference in saddles corresponds to the radius that's needed; the E strings are low, the A and B strings are medium, and the D and G strings are high.
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Working...
    X