Moving a strap pin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving a strap pin?

When you guys talk about moving the strap pin on a Kelly to one of the neck plate positions, do you use the bolt that is meant to hold the neck on and just fit the strap pin in like a washer even though it won't sit quite perfect since the head of the bolt is too big, or do you use the screw intended for the strap pin and compromise the strength of the neck/body joint?

Re: Moving a strap pin?

I'm not sure about a Kelly but this is how I did my Rhoads, and mhalsey did it too...works great.

Comment

So you just drilled a hole in the neck plate and into the body and mounted the strap pin there?

Comment

Yes.

Comment

On my WRMG, I just used the screw from the neck thru the strap button. Of course the screw doesn't seat as far, but a few others here suggested it and it's been fine for me so far...no worries [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
          Hear the universe scream
          Bleeding from black holes
          Whom horns careless
          And whom God mourns

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            On my WRMG, I just used the screw from the neck thru the strap button. Of course the screw doesn't seat as far, but a few others here suggested it and it's been fine for me so far...no worries [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool thanks I'll try that and if it doesn't help enough I'll go the other route which should theoretically balance it a little more...Damn Marty Friedman, if it wasn't for him Kelly's would still be full size and we wouldn't have these problems!

Comment

Since it's a different guitar than my son's and Jeri's, that option may work. But I know Jeri tried going that route and it didn't provide much relief. I would definitely go for the upper-neck option unless you have a problem drilling a hole in the neckplate. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
              My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

Hmmm I wonder what using the screw for the upper LEFT screw would do (upper left in the picture above at least)....Theoretically that should swing the balance even more than putting it in the middle...Only concern I can think of is maybe the body tilting forward...

Comment

Never know til you try it. I would think with the pin that low, forward tilt would definately be worsened.
                  My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Never know til you try it. I would think with the pin that low, forward tilt would definately be worsened.

[/ QUOTE ]
                    i think you are correct, but if you put it in the top right hole(in the pic) or if you drilled it in the center and it still droped forwards, you can also move the strap button from the back of the guitar to the trem cavity plate . this fixed up my KE2 perfect cause it was eat up with neck dive-itis [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

it has been perfect ever since. the only thing you have to get used to is the end of the strap that goes to the cavity plate hugs you and it goes on backward [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

MOSH ON
                    DAVE
                    "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

Now THAT is a cool idea too! I'm gonna give that a go first I think...Which screw did you use, the screw for the tremplate or did you widen the hole in the trem cover and the body nd use the strap pin screw?

Comment

i used a strap pin screw [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                        "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

lol moshwitz nice axe and nice stack of cabs behind ya there dude, what p/up's you got in your kelly? white emg's? they look really bright

Comment

thanks bro [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                            just one EMG 81 in the bridge and one vol. knob the other pup is a blank filler plate and i used carriage bolts.
                            this is how it currently looks.

the back has been modded to still accommodate my cord.

MOSH ON
                            DAVE

Comment

i really dig the white emg [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X