Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help!? Removing smell of cheap cologne from neck!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!? Removing smell of cheap cologne from neck!

Help?!
    I had one of my wino budies play one of my guitars with a lightly oiled (almost bare)mahogony neck and he must of had a ton of cheap colonge on his hands and my whole guitar stinks of it. I thought it would go away but its been a week. I sat the guitar on its stand so it could air out. The care guide lines for my guitar say to use Zildijian Cymbal polish on the wood of the guitar but I am afraid of permantley sealing the smell in of the cheap cologne.

It is one of my favorite guitars and I cant play it because it stinks, at least if it was a decent scent I would not mind so much but the only thing this guitar is going to attract is winos and two dollar whores. Help?!!

I am serious this is not a joke BTW.

Re: Help!? Removing smell of cheap cologne from neck!

hm. maybe wipe it down with naptha and oil the neck again? just an idea.
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Re: Help!? Removing smell of cheap cologne from ne

put it under the sun for few hours...just my idea

Comment

Tell him to lay off the Old Spice the next time he plays your guitfiddle! I would think after a while the scent would dissipate as the neck airs out over time.

Comment

I'd stick a small fan in front of the neck and let the scent dissipate. Wipe it down with Naptha. Then try a little lemon oil. Later on you can use the oil finish you like.
          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Going to go get the Naptha today I will let you guys know what happens.
            Thanks

Comment

Interesting. My Charvel's maple neck still stinks since I put linseed oil on its fretboard A MONTH ago. Will the naphta + lemon oil method work in this case too?

Comment

It should although I have never personally had this problem. naptha will remove any remaining oils from the hands or other sources and lemon oil is a good neutralizer. I bought a used Adamas acoustic years ago. The guy spent a lot of time in bars and clubs where there was heavy smoking going on. The guitar kinda smelled bad, so I put a rag soaked in lemon oil inside the guitar and closed the case for awhile. It cured it. Now my guitar smells like lemons to this day.(sounds like a commercial-lemon fresh!) It's been 10 years now.
                Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Working...
                X