intonating a floyd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• intonating a floyd

can anyone tell me how to prperly intonate a floyd rose equiped guitar?

i have a boss tu-12 tuner if that helps...

i just put a new floyd on one of my guitars and could not match the saddles because i had to swap out the blocks on them

thanks in advance

jon

Re: intonating a floyd

Here's how I do it, Jon:

Tune the strings to pitch, stretch, lock down, tune. (I think you use zero pullback, right?)

Check intonation. Use the twelvth fret harmonic (this is your standard) and the twelth fret fretted note (this is the note that will change against the standard.)

If the fretted note is sharp, the saddle needs to go back. If the note is flat, the saddle needs to go forward.

I like to work in pairs on Floyds, so lets set the low E and A strings. You've checked them both with the tuner and determined what needs to be done.

Lay the guitar flat slip you finger (any finger, probably right hand) under BOTH strings and lift. Go ahead and un-lock the nut with your left hand. The idea here is to keep some good tension on the string around the tuner post. De-tune both strings a couple of turns and re-lock the nut.

Now you can let the strings go, grab your 2.5mm allen and loosen the saddle and move it in whatever direction it needs to go. Snug her down good (don't go nuts, were talking small screws here, but you don't want it coming lose, either).

Lay the guitar flat again, stick your right hand fingers under the E and A strings, lift and loosen the nut. Tune the strings up close, slide out your fingers and re-tune. Check your work.

If I think it's close, I'll lock it down and then check the intonation. It seems to affect it a little...but that's just me.

Here's a great cheat: You have other Floyded guitars: Examine them and set the saddles just like they are, in average, before you start. That will often get you very close!

Couple more things to remember: There is no one "right" in intonation set-up. Some people use a low action and a very light touch. Some throttle the neck with high action. These two players will always sound out of tune playing each other's guitars.

Personalizing your intonation: I use a medium action and throttle the neck. Therefore I set my G string flat, my B string slightly flat, and my low E string slightly flat. Those are the strings that are the easiest to pull sharp by squeezing too hard.

Good luck! You'll get this...it's easier to do than to explain!!

Comment

thanks chuck, i'll try it out, i may just print this page to refrence it QUITE OFTEN as i'm sure to screw it up....

you set up the slimer perfectly to my liking and i try to duplicate it each time with the others, i have an idea why don't you just move closer to me and well you can just show me!!!!!

thanks again chuck
      jon

Comment

My pleasure, Sir. Any troubles, drop me a line.

Hey, didn't we try to do that once, and wound up at Tommy's instead? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

yes, we did, got a bunch of nothing done, but played some cool guitars........and had a few drinks

jon

Comment

nice post, Chuckles. Pretty much how I do it, but you've got a couple of cool extra tips in there that I might adopt next time. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
            Hail yesterday

Comment

just completed the intonation, thanks a bunch chuck, you made it a breeze........... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

thanks
              jon

Comment

throttle the neck...?
                Could someone explain this to me, I've never heard that term. Its obvious its a type of playing but I've never heard that before. What is it?

Thanks
                Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Squeezing the neck, or fretting with lots of pressure; really holding on tight. The harder you fret the strings, the more you pull the string sharp.

I would be a hopeless wreck on a scalloped neck!

Comment

Thanks.
                    Hmmn, myself?
                    Yep, I'd would be one of them (throttle neck) players.
                    I can't have a light action setup I have little finesse.
                    I play lightly if the song or piece or trick reguires it, but for the most part, I'm a medium action throttle neck player too.
                    Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Chucks explanation for intonation is about the best I've read. I think it would make a great sticky. After all, that's something every guitar player should know how to do. Admins....glue that sucker!
                      My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

i agree, put this one up there..........

jon

Comment

Chuck nailed it. One thing that I do is check and set intonation with the guitar in playing position just so there is no flex in the neck . I hate doing it but once you have it set right, you don't have to ever worry about it again. I have to do each saddle sometimes 3-4 times. Its a lot of tuning, untuning, moving the saddle before you get exact but Floyds stay intonated for years once you get it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                          shawnlutz.com

Comment

Outstanding Chuck! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] Pretty much how I've done it over the years as well, but well said by you.

Comment

Working...
                            X