Which glue for broken neck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which glue for broken neck?

A friend gave me an acoustic guitar that has a cracked neck. Its cracked towards the top diagonally from the bottom like as if a scarf joint gave way. Its still together as the fretboard didnt break or crack. It looks like an easy fix, just glue it and clamp it. I was wondering what would be the correct glue to use for this. I know that elmers wood glue works great but maybe theres something better?. Its an inexpensive guitar btw.

Re: Which glue for broken neck?

Epoxy glue is even stronger and dries quickly

Comment

<font color="aqua">I would use a yellow wood glue, as it's like elmers but much more stable. </font>
      Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

epoxy; the last headstock repair i did didn't hold with titebond II wood glue. it held with epoxy, tho. fo sho.
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          epoxy; the last headstock repair didn't hold with titebond II wood glue. it held with epoxy.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">then the joint wasn't "clean" enough..... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] </font>
          Dave ->

Comment

gonna have to disagree with you on that.
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

<font color="aqua">of course you would...I would be disappointed if otherwise. Let me put it to you this way. If you are gluing 2 pieces of wood that are prepped correctly, then the joint will actually be stronger than the wood itself so it would break "around" the joint. Surely you must know that about wood construction? </font>
              Dave ->

Comment

yeah, i understand the concept; you don't have to be condescending. that being said, you weren't sitting here as i cleaned the neck and headstock with qtips, naptha, and then blew it out with compressed air to make sure that the break was dirt free, were you? no, no you weren't.

i was actually surprised that it didnt hold under string tension, but it didn't, so i moved on to something else. is that okay, davey?
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  yeah, i understand the concept; you don't have to be condescending. that being said, you weren't sitting here as i cleaned the neck and headstock with qtips, naptha, and then blew it out with compressed air to make sure that the break was dirt free, were you? no, no you weren't.

i was actually surprised that it didnt hold under string tension, but it didn't, so i moved on to something else. is that okay, davey?

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua"> sully, whatever you did, was incorrect if it didn't hold. I personally never use compressed air or something fiberous like a q-tip in a joint that is about to be glued because you'r getting foriegn particles in there that won't allow the joint to "join" correctly. whatever works for ya.....</font>
                  Dave ->

Comment

well, let's take each step apart; naptha cleaned the area, the qtip was to remove some dirt that was stuck in two parts of the broken area. two very small parts. because it was cotton, i used a bit of compressed air to make sure there wasn't cotton in there. my eyes work pretty well, and i looked with a magnifying glass (yes, really) and a lot of light for anything left behind.

i have no idea what got your proverbial dander up, but i really think you should take it easy.
                    Sully Guitars on Google+
                    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

i have no idea what got your proverbial dander up, but i really think you should take it easy.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">you're right...I will go. </font>
                      Dave ->

Comment

Depends on the glue, and the level of humidity it dries in you'll notice there are about 4 different types of Elmer's alphetic resin or 'yellow wood glue' including indoor and outdoor. With the proper glue, mixed with the proper sd base, will molecularly melt the wood back together and form a stronger bond... ideally anyways.

Unfortunately few glues work that way.

Comment

To add fuel to the fire, it is also all about how you apply the force to hold the area together while the glue sets. I've followed all the steps perfectly before, but since I could get an even clamping pressure all around the joint, it broke again. Maybe in Sully's case, it was clamped slightly differently the second time?

Comment

Hell, you guys are making this way way to complicated. Just use good 'ol super glue. You don't have to clean anything, it dries fast, and it'll hold long enough to get it to the pawn shop!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Just trying to lighten the thread up a little. Actually I agree with Dave, I've always used elmers carpenter glue (yellow) but it only works on CLEAN BARE wood and proper clamping is a must.
                            My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Thanks for the ideas guys. I was leaning towards the elmers glue as Ive used it before for cabinets and such. Just wanted to see if there was something else. What name or brand would this epoxy be known under? Can it be had at a local store like walmart?

Comment

Working...
                              X