Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kelly Question

Hi all,

I have a couple questions about the Kelly guitars. One of the local music shops around here has one used for $325.00. I only talked to the guy on the phone, and haven't seen it yet. I am planning on taking a look tonight after work. The only thing I do know about it is it has a "floyd" type trem, and sharkfin inlays.

What should I look for to see what type of kelly it is ? And is this a good price for a used one if it is in decent condition ?

Thanks !

Re: Kelly Question

Well, the KE3 has sharkfins and a floyd.... And I don't knw about the price, because I live in Sweden [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Man, there are LOTS of Kelly models. Sharkfins or no isn't gonna narrow it down. Detailed description and better, bring a camera & post pics here.
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

If it says Performer on the headstock, then It's a Ps6t most likely and they can be had new for 250.00 at american music supply.
        Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Comment

Originally posted by Rick:
          If it says Performer on the headstock, then It's a Ps6t most likely and they can be had new for 250.00 at american music supply.
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">But a Performer would have dot inlays.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Bzzzt! Nice try, Rick! We have a consolation prize for you backstage! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

J/K dude!

R

Comment

OK, let's guess:

For $325 at a Michigan music shop, I believe I am safe in assuming this is not a USA Kelly. Also, it's probably not a neck-through Kelly Pro either. So it's an import, a bolt-on. It has a trem & fins, so we can eliminate the PS6T & Kelly Standard.

Comment

So that leaves:

-Kelly XL
                24 fret, bound rosewood board, sharks, bound h/s,
                MIJ

-Kelly XLR
                as above, except reverse h/s & sharks

-KE3
                successor to the XLs, no binding

-KE3R
                reverse h/s/shks KE3

[ March 14, 2003, 06:02 AM: Message edited by: RacerX ]

Comment

Get the first few numbers from the serial # on the neck plate also. If it starts with 0 or 1, or if there is a little sticker that says "made in india", you probably ought to look for something else.

Comment

Ah yes, the KX10D...made in India...yech.

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX:
                      So that leaves:

-Kelly XL
                      24 fret, bound rosewood board, sharks, bound h/s,
                      MIJ

-Kelly XLR
                      as above, except reverse h/s

-
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You forgot, Kelly XLR has reverse sharkfins, too. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Ok, I went and took a look at this guitar. I don't remember the whole serial, but I started with 000, and I think was 8 digits.

It is a bolt-on neck, rosewood fretboard, no binding, not a reverse headstock. The headstock simply says Jackson, nothing else. It has 2 Duncan Designed hum pups, and a Jackson trem. The trem is chrome, and the saddle locking screws stick out the back under the fine tuners.

The body had a couple of clear coat scratches on the front, and a couple of 1/2 inch to 1 inch scratches in the back. None were through the clear-coat. The big problem with the body (aside from it doesn't look like it's been cleaned in a year) was that the tip of the "tail" on the back side of the body was chipped off. All the way to the wood, and it looks like whoever owned it colored it with a black magic marker to "conceal" it.

Also, whoever strung it last has the trem "floating" about an inch above the body.

I asked if they would reduce the price, and they offered to bring it down to 300, and throw in a set of strings.

I think I'll pass on this guitar, and just save my money and either get a new DK-2, or a Soloist.

Thanks for all your replies.

Comment

Racer X,

Are the Kelley dx10's really that bad? My Ps6t really isn't a bad guitar for 250.00, and AMS had either model for the same price. I actually liked the shrkfins better, but they were out of stock on them at the time.

With new pups and a better trem, the ps6t plays and sounds great.
                          Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Comment

I played a PS6T and thought it was great - just needed a good fretboard oiling (or replacement neck with fins - dots R gay). it also had EMGs in it, so I'm sure that helped, but as far as playability, it was definitely killer. If AMS includes the case I might pick one up [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Newc
                            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by toejam:
                              You forgot, Kelly XLR has reverse sharkfins, too. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yeah dude, but I don't have a an XLR (I have an XL) (you don't have one either anymore, you traitor you! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] )

Also I'm going by memory (No info page to rely on [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] )

Comment

Working...
                              X