Help to Replace JT580 Floyd Copy with Origial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help to Replace JT580 Floyd Copy with Origial

I'm new on this board, so I apologise in advance if this is the wrong spot to post this question.

I have a Jackson SL4 with a JT580 Floyd Rose copy. I would very much like to replace the JT580 with an Original Floyd. However, I don't want to have to route out or do any other modifications to the body in order to do it. I'm hoping there is an original Floyd like the Floyd Pro or Lo-Pro that will match the existing footprint of the JT580.
    Which Floyd will work??

I want to be able to literally swap out the old bridge hardware for the new without having to make any alterations to the guitar.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Help to Replace JT580 Floyd Copy with Origial

Great info here:
    http://www.jcfonline.com/ubbthreads/...&page=0#314293
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Most guitars with the JT580LP can take an OFR with little to no modifications. Plenty of people have performed this operation, and the biggest problem I've heard of was one case (Newc's DK2) where the baseplate was scraping against the side of the trem route. What he did to remedy this, was just to shave some of the finish off in that spot.

However, if you also want to replace the posts, you'd need to drill the holes out a little bit, since the OFR bushings are slightly bigger. Similar story with the locking nut; since the OFR locking nuts tend to be taller than the licensed nuts, the neck would have to be modified somewhat.

Some members here have testified that the Lo Pro Floyd has different post spacing than the JT580LP, and would thusly NOT be a direct replacement.

If you run the guitar with very thick strings in ultra low tunings, there is the theoretical possibility that the locking bolts for the OFR would extend over the edge of the trem route when the guitar is correctly intonated. I have never seen this happen myself, but it may be something to consider. But, if that does happen, you could just take the bolts to a tech and ask him to shorten them a bit.

I have successfully replaced the JT580LP with a Schaller Floyd. It fits into the trem route, but since it has shorter locking bolts than the OFR it looks a little out of place (see the thread that MM posted for an example). Works great though. However, if I would do the same mod today, I would definitely go for an OFR instead (I found out I like them better).

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys.

I think I'm going to look towards the OFR replacement. I found an authorized Jackson Service shop in my area. I think I might take my guitar to them as opposed to attempting this myself since there may be some minor adjustments required.

Comment

Working...
        X