Hardware question for TOM/DiMarzio/guitar builders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardware question for TOM/DiMarzio/guitar builders

For my guitar building project I was thinking about a one pickup soloist, with TOM. Of course that'd limit me for clean tones so maybe a piezo would work well? For the pup I'm very tempted about the DiMarzio dropsonic (to get a very tight sound, loads of sustain and good bass for chugging) , and both coils will be selectable. It will only have a volume control and the piezo will just keep its standard controls. I was thinking about this one?
    http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tai...ne-o-matic.html but they don't have black [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
    The guitar will be a maple/ebony neckthru with Mahogany wings.
    The piezo may be a bit expensive. In this case do you guys know of any low profile (to maybe not have to angle the neck down) TOM or wraparound bridges? Right now I have a non recessed Floyd and while I like the feel of it, angling a neck thru guitar neck may be a little hard for a first timer.
    Maybe this TOM? http://store.guitarfetish.com/blviabstbrwi.html? Though the inserts seem not to be delivered with it...
    Oh and I'm leaving in a few hours to Edinburgh where I'll be Internet less for a bit. I may try and go to an Internet cofee sometimes and pay a visit here. So yeah if you have any suggestions do it fast haha! It'll be hard to live a month without the Internet! So I say goodbye here just in case noone replies before I leave hehe...

Re: Hardware question for TOM/DiMarzio/guitar builders

Or wait... I could use a JT580LP that I'd buy for cheap and do a recessed Floyd route, which would eliminate the need for a neck angle! Would this Floyd work well with a fingerboard radius of 10/16, and would it kill sustain too much?

Comment

Re: Hardware question for TOM/DiMarzio/guitar buil

You could recess the bridge into the top. Godin, Peavey, and a few others have recessed TOM's. Early pre-pro PRS guitars had recessed Badass bridges.

The problem with making a bridge thinner is that it also makes it weaker. With all the string tension on it, it would bend in short order. Even regular thickness tuneomatics sometimes sag in the middle over the years from the tension.

Comment

Re: Hardware question for TOM/DiMarzio/guitar buil

I was indeed considering recessing the bridge in case a thinner one wasn't available. And I'd probably buy a not so expensive one to upgrade later. I'd want this guitar to be playable before all, and to have decent rythm sounds (even though it's a soloist [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img])

Comment

Working...
        X