Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

24th fret node - Tonal sweet spot or dead spot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24th fret node - Tonal sweet spot or dead spot?

On other guitar related boards I have read some who say that a 22 fret guitar with the neck pick-up placed underneath where the 24th fret would be has a better tone than if placed behind the node. While others who say you never want to have a pick-up placed under the node because it is a tonal deadspot. What do you think?
    dead spot
    100.00%
    sweet spot
    0.00%
    There is no practical difference
    0.00%

Re: 24th fret node - Tonal sweet spot or dead spot

I like neck pickup tones on 22 fret guitars better.

Comment

I think there is a difference in tone more because the neck pickup is further from the bridge on a 22 fret axe, and that may be a valid reason for preferring it. The nodal point theory is crap, imo, because once you actually fret the strings, like some of us are known to do occasionally, the nodal points change accordingly.

Comment

There is no practical difference. There definitely is a tonal difference, but that's just from pickup location.

Ya see what hanging around on those other guitar boards and listening to their advice is doing to you?

Comment

Didn't Ed Roman start this whole load of crap about 22 fret guitars with a neck pickup? So I guess everyone that has ever used the neck pickup on a Les Paul is wrong. [img]/images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img]

Just my 2 cents.
          "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

I prefer 24-fret guitars, because I like brighter neck pups and like how it puts the pups closer together. Not that there's anything wrong with 22-fretters, as I've got a few of those, too.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

usually (my experience) when playing the 23rd or 24th frets, the string has such little room to vibrate, than you can almost no sustain at all, and it usually sounds like dead ass. I have 3 24fret guitars to try this on my own, as well as others. I just dont see much of a point, I always like to bend up to that octave. sounds more dramatic

Comment

I much prefer the tone of the neck pickup on a 22 fret guitar vs a 24 fret guitar. To me there is a big difference, much more 'whoop' to the tone, more richness, and a better contrast to the bridge pickup.

I do think the neck pickup on a 24 fret neck pickup up more harmonics due to the location, but it isn't a big deal to me.

Comment

Again, I agree totally with Lex. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] And again, we see the evil leprichaun Ed mentioned in regards to some stupid myth. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I love the sound of a good neck pickup, and it is clearly more colorful on a 22 fret instrument. I haven't noticed any "dead spots" for harmonics though. If you pick the harmonic correctly, it will be there and the pickup will pick it up.

There may be a difference in how you attempt to pick the harmonics though, since your reference points (end of neck and pickup position) would have changed. It may take a while to adjust to playing a 24 fret guitar if all you've played before were 22 fretters.

Comment

How did you do the vote-stuff?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

Ya see what hanging around on those other guitar boards and listening to their advice is doing to you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah my bad, but I'm in the right place now.

Thanks for the input guys. Your reasoning makes more sense than the harmonic sweet/dead spot theories.

How did I add the vote-stuff? I selected add poll and followed the menu.

Comment

Working...
                      X