Direct Coupling Pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Direct Coupling Pickups

I did a search on this but nothing! I can't believe it hasn't been brought up. For those that have pickups directly mounted to the body, ie EVH Charvel, Wolfgang etc., can you hear a difference verses a conventionally mounted pickup, (suspended)? I have a EVH Wolfgang as far as direct mounted and I can't hear any differences. I'm not an electrical or acoustics engineer, but I am a mechanical engineer. In theory I can't see where a magnetic device working with a vibrating string has anything to do with guitar (solid) body microphonics. You might can a miniscual amount of microphonics. But, I can't believe the human ear can discern it. Anybody agree with Ed Roman's claims it's the only way to go? Or EVH must have approach? Interesting to hear your thoughts!
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Re: Direct Coupling Pickups

I can hear a little difference, probably from the mechanical coupling. I also noticed that if the pickup is microphonic, they tend to be more microphonic due to the increased coupling with the body. Even though a pickup is primarily a device to convert string vibrations into energy, some pickups are microphonic by nature, take your guitar and talk or yell into the pickup on some guitars you can hear your voice come out the amp. It only makes sense that a direct mechanical coupling could have some effect on the tone.

Comment

Well, from what I've seen Ed Roman is full of dung 110% of the time. Once he has decided something is better than something else that does the same thing, it is 'superior'.

That thing aside, I agree with Lex. It would probably have an effect on tone, even if your pickups are totally non-microphonic - because they would affect how the body resonates a little (however miniscule that effect may be), which in turn influences how the strings ring out.

For me personally, I treasure the adjustability that springs and screws give me a lot more than any tonal gains a direct coupling may or may not have.

Comment

Looks like someone is reading too much Zed lately. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I think it maybe makes a little difference... [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

But I usually try not be hyped about this stuff because it is usually your preprogrammed brain that hears the "difference" not your ears.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          "it is usually your preprogrammed brain that hears the "difference" not your ears."

[/ QUOTE ]

WORD!! Ya know, that statement covers a lot of the "voodoo" questions I see on this forum. Neck woods, body woods, fretboard material, trem mounting, pickup mounting, neck through vs. bolt-on, etc.
          My conclusion is that most of these variables do make a difference in tone, sustain, etc., but to the human ear it's all relative.
          I still say (with a solid body electric instrument) the pickups, effects, and amps make the biggest difference in the audible sound.
          Now...if you want to talk about acoustic instruments....I'll sing a different tune.
          My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

I found some more info on the "Jet Guitar" site. Jeffery did a lot of testing when going to build a great solid bodied guitar. (His pickups use the conventional mounting by the way) He was saying in the old days with the "F" hole bodied Jazz acoustics they got some microphonics feeding back (maybe the P-90 pickup?), so they came up with the pickup mounting ring to isolate or suspend the pickup somewhat from the guitar body. Interesting.
            Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

For me personally, I treasure the adjustability that springs and screws give me a lot more than any tonal gains a direct coupling may or may not have.

[/ QUOTE ]

What you can do is get those small threaded brass wood inserts and screws from a hobby store, and use them to mount the pickup into the body, you could still use springs if you have enough room and have a little adjustability. I use them all the time on on SSH guitars where the single coils are mounted directly to the body.

Comment

Working...
              X