X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG HZ pups in DKMGT?

Do these need a battery?

Re: EMG HZ pups in DKMGT?

Nope. They're passive versions of EMG pups. However, the turbocharger will require a 9V if I'm not mistaken.
    My YouTube Videos | My SoundCloud Page

Comment

Excellent, thank you! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Why would the tubrocharger need a 9v. Does it simulate a boost like an active EMG then? Or is it just a volume level thing 20b louder... what's up with that?

Comment

I had those same pickups, in my DXMG, and didn't really care for 'em all that much. Very flat sounding, just a little better than the Duncan Designed pickups, in my opinion. Both my Duncan Distortion, and JB's smoked it in the tone department. You might consider EMG 81/85's in their place.

Comment

Originally posted by kevhogAZ:
          I had those same pickups, in my DXMG, and didn't really care for 'em all that much. Very flat sounding, just a little better than the Duncan Designed pickups, in my opinion. Both my Duncan Distortion, and JB's smoked it in the tone department. You might consider EMG 81/85's in their place.
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Agreed.
          I changed them for a Seymour Duncan JB/'59 combo and the sound is so much better now. I think the JB fits well with the basswood tonewise.
          http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

BTW I'm talking about my DKMGT, I never had a DXMG.

Comment

That's cool. I'm not much for EMG's anyway. So I will eventually change them for that 59/JB combo. But I bet these EMG's sound better than the stocks on my Epiphone. So they will satisfy me for a while. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

You can be sure about that... I had an Epiphone G-310 SG before I got the DKMGT and it sounded worse. The good thing about the DKMGT is the turbocharger, it helps giving those HZs a little more punch. I always had it turned on to a very low degree.

And another good thing is that when I got the Seymours the turbocharger wasn't needed (and couldn't be used) anymore, so I was able to get two volume knobs instead of one (the tone knob was moved where the turbocharger knob was before).

I love it that way, it's my favourite configuration.

Comment

Good idea. I'll keep that in mind for future mods. [img]graemlins/idea2.gif[/img]

What color is your DKMGT Fifth_Horseman ? Got any pics?

Comment

It's black, and I don't have any pics of my own guitar... I've just collected every pic of DKMGTs that I could find on the net.

Sorry but I never have enough money for a digital camera as I spend all my money (that is left over) on guitar stuff. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

lol! No problem. I do the same thing.

Black is ALWAYS a great color on a guitar. Nice choice.

Let's just hope one of my local shops can order one in trans red. I want this baby FAST! Gaaah! [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Comment

Let's say black is never a bad color... All my electric guitars have been black so far (well, two of them I got used so no color choice), I really want my next electric to have another finish.
                        I'd like either a solid white or some nice trans finish like Tobacco Sunburst. [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Comment

i'd love to see some DKMGT pics ! im thinking about getting one....any pics would be great [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Shazam!

"Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Does it simulate a boost like an active EMG then?
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Turbochargers (Afterburners... same thing only different) are 20dB clean boosts. Basically they overdrive the hell out of your amp. Find a gain boost pedal and throw that in front of your amp to see what happens. You'll notice a marked increase in distortion. If you like the sound, consider getting one of these things and installing it. On some amps it's a godsend.

And another good thing is that when I got the Seymours the turbocharger wasn't needed (and couldn't be used) anymore, so I was able to get two volume knobs instead of one (the tone knob was moved where the turbocharger knob was before).
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It COULD be used. The Turbocharger operates AFTER the pickups and simply amplifies the signal before it is sent to the output jack. It doesn't have to have any kind of special pickups and there isn't anything special about the EMG-HZ's. They're standard passive pickups.

And as for the HZ's tone, I've always compared EMG's to audiophile level sound equipment. They're flat for a reason. Your amps EQ section does the work. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X