Can this be done?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can this be done?

I bought a JX10 a few days ago, I've had some time to really crank it up and I love the way it sounds. But I would like to be able to get a little cleaner sound from the neck pickup. The pickups are Duncan Design Hotrails. Since they are four-conductor I was wondering if I could put a push-pull pot (or something to that effect) and split the neck p'up for a cleaner sound. I've got a '59 humbucker in another guitar split this way and it sounds really clean. If anyone has done this let me know how it sounds and if the D. Design wiring is the same as the U.S.A. Duncans. You know how it is, always in search of tone. Thanks.

Re: Can this be done?

I don't think you can split a single coil.. could you? If you could.. I would imagine it would sound SUPER CRAPPY! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

It's actually a mini humbucker-I think

Comment

[img]graemlins/eyes.gif[/img] yes...it's a humbucker in a single coil size...split on, my friend.

sully
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Yep, I don't know much about pickup wiring but I wouldn't think a 4-conducter
          single coil pickup would have a reason to be, even if it COULD be!

You might email Seymour Duncan to ask about the wiring if the diagrams aren't on their website; I know the diagrams for the real Duncans are posted there.

Will you void your warranty by doing that?
          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

It probably would void the warranty so I might wait. How long is J/C's warranty on their imports anyway?

Comment

All jacksons built after 2001 have a lifetime warranty, im fairly sure, matt can double check.
              Cheers

Comment

Word: They're sing sized hums, dude. I've got a couple of SD Hot Rails in my Soloist. Not really my thing, but good sounding anyway.

RobH: I haven't done a side-by-side comparison of the SD and DD versions but in general I'd say they sound similar enough. I wouldn't say the same for the Duncan Distortion and HB103 though. Ugh. Split away if you can.

Yeah, it's a lifetime warranty now. But, that warranty doesn't cover a LOT of stuff. With the way our customer service was in the short time I worked there I think our motto was "Just do it. It's not like we're going to void your warranty anyway." IIRC electronics aren't covered under warranty, but with new owners comes new warranties so your mileage may vary.

Comment

Working...
                X