Tone Discovery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tone Discovery

Maybe you all know this already, but I just discovered it last night.

I have a DK-2 and a DX-10D. I was playing both unplugged and I couldn't believe the difference in the sound between the two. The DK-2 was very bright. The notes seemed almost brittle. While the DX10D had a big boomy and warm sound to it. The bodies on both guitars seem to be about the same, the bridges are different and the neck on the DX10 is thicker. I am guessing the tone difference is mostly coming from the thicker neck.

Would anyone else care to weigh in on this subject? Could fret buzz give a guitar a brighter sound? The DK-2 has a lot more unplugged fret buzz than the DX10D.

Tom

Re: Tone Discovery

Could be that. But the pickups are different too. The DX10 uses 103's and DK2 uses 102b in the bridge position.

Comment

No, Not at all. This when they were unplugged! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

And I replaced my DK-2 bridge with a Duncan JB and the Neck is now a Lil '59.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by TomG:
        No, Not at all. This when they were unplugged! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

And I replaced my DK-2 bridge with a Duncan JB and the Neck is now a Lil '59.

Tom
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">DX's are mahogany, which sounds warmer
        than the DK2's alder.
        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Really? I did not know that. Cool.

I actually like my DX10D. There is only 2 problems with it. It sounds great and plays just super fab.

1) It was made in India and the inlay and fret work was not done very well. There is fill all over the neck and I have rubbed the crap out of it with steel wool and I can't get it out.

2) The JT500 Trem on it sux.

bonus) I don't like the reverse headstock.

Other than that the HB103s sound great to me, the action is great and there is no fret buzz for the very low I action I have setup. Very good value for US$300.

Cheers,
          Tom

Comment

I just checked the Jackson website and they say the DX10D is Alder too. Same as the DK2. I am sticking with my Thicker Neck theory for now. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

the age of the strings can also make a lot of difference in brightness

Comment

I replaced the neck on my DX10D with one from a DK2, maybe that's the best of both worlds?
                Question for you: does your bridge look like it sits high off of the body?

Comment

Strings are the same age. Both just recently replaced.

I thought of putting a DK-2 Neck on the DX10D body last year. That would be cool, then not only would you get the HH pup configuration of the DX10D, but you would get the volume knob in the correct location. You would want to replace the Trem on the DX10 too.

Tom

Comment

DOUBLE CHECK THE SCALE LENGTH ON YOUR DX10. i LOOKED AT THE PICTURE OF THE GUITAR AND THOSE HUMBUCKERS LOOK WAY TO CLOSE TO BE 25 1/2 SCALE. I ONLY SAY THIS BECAUSE IT LOOKS THE SAME AS A FUSION HH'S PICKUP SPACING TO ME.
                    LETS FACE IT IT WOULDN'T BE THE FIRST TIME SOMEONE GOT THE SPECS WRONG ON SOMETHING. AND I REMEMBER MUSICIANS FRIEND LISTING THIS AS MAHOGONY BODY.
                    An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.
                    A tooth for a tooth means we all eat through a straw.

Comment

"number A: you don't have to shout. do you know how many internet ettiquette laws you're breaking right now? ...well, only one. don't type in all caps."

black mariah had posted about the dx10ds and said that some were mahogany, some were alder...
                      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                      Sully Guitars on Facebook
                      Sully Guitars on Google+
                      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Sorry bought that.
                        Call me lazy but I just didn't take the caps lock off after my wife got off the net.
                        Any ways, are the pickup mounting rings oversized or something on that guitar?
                        An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.
                        A tooth for a tooth means we all eat through a straw.

Comment

Pups rings look normal to me. It is a normal 25.5" scale.

Tom

Comment

Yeah, a lot of the Indian guitars are/were mahogany. Not GOOD mahogany, but mahogany nonetheless.

Comment

[ March 02, 2003, 12:03 PM: Message edited by: toejam ]
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X