Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kingV standard body with DR3 neck

Guys, I need your help.
    Can someone tell me if a DR3 neck would fit a king V standard body?

Re: kingV standard body with DR3 neck

Nope! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Hey, RacerX, it`s not [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] it`s more like [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] or [img]graemlins/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
      I will get a king V body(recently put on the board in the classifieds). Another guys on board has put an ad for a DR3 neck. I thought it would be a match(well, I wish it`s a match, as this DR3 neck is just what I want, reversed with fins....yummy).
      Can you tell me what kind of a neck would fit?

Comment

Actually I was kidding, Warhead! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
        (as in "Nope, I can't tell you") har har

Cuz I'm interested in that King V body too
        geddit?

Comment

I want a reverse h/s King V also!

Alas, I don't have the cash at this point!

[img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

AAAAAAHHHHHH, so that`s the thing. You want it too, hah? Well I want it MORE!!
            I was just saying to my girlfriend that I NEED to have a King V. And she was like, well I bought you a RR a few months ago, and a few months before the RR you got a Charvel 375, and you have some other guitars...But she changed her opinion very quickly, as she started to get more guitar obsessed than I am. She`s alredy making plans what would be the next guitar she`ll get me.
            An sorry I didn`t get what you were saying. After all, I`m just a European guy and English is not my main language.
            I will post you a pic of the guitar when I have it assambled. I plan to paint it white. MMMMM, a King V with a reversed neck and fins....

Comment

Was the original neck 22 frets or 24? You might run into a problem if the neck isn't a match. I also thought that the DR3 and other reverse-headstock necks had a slightly different profile, based on playing a few a couple years back.
              sigpic

Comment

a dr3 neck is 24 frets and the kv imports are 22 frets might not work , but they are both 25.5 inch scale so it might work , the neck joint will fit fine but 22 swap for 24 frets might make some wierd tuning problems . //Steve

Comment

So the KV imports are 22 fret? In that case you'll never get it to intonate with a Jackson 24 fret neck...not without moving the bridge anyway. A Warmoth 24-fret neck should work better, but you'd have to sacrifice the neck pickup due to the fretboard overhang on those.

*EDIT: You might want to ask the seller what model the KV was and what neck was originally on it. The only import KV I can find on the Jackson page is the KVX10, and that one does have a 24 fret neck in the picture at least...

'bane

[ February 22, 2003, 05:55 PM: Message edited by: Sunbane ]

Comment

Hey WarHead SunBane is right the 24 frett neck you'll never get it to intonate properly, find out what the model is & check what neck it had on it, if you wind up needing a 22 frett reverse neck let me know I know someone who will part with one & it's a Jackson neck. Good Luck, The other thing is you might need to shim the neck if the heights don't match up also. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

I must ask the guy I`ll get that body from to tell me what kind of a neck it had.
                      I never understood that 22/24 neck thing. If the scale length is the same........
                      But I`m not a luthier, so.......I`m gonna have to trust you guys [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I guess this is the same guy who asked me to send shipping details and I never heard from again.

Bah. Not even the decency to tell me that he sold it to someone else.

[ February 23, 2003, 11:29 PM: Message edited by: Aaron Fox ]

Comment

Yeah I noticed that seller was a newbie and that was his very first post on JCF. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Good Luck Warhead!

Keep us posted! [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by warhead:
                            I must ask the guy I`ll get that body from to tell me what kind of a neck it had.
                            I never understood that 22/24 neck thing. If the scale length is the same........
                            But I`m not a luthier, so.......I`m gonna have to trust you guys [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">But when you're doing a 22/24 fret neck swap, you're messing up the scale length. Look at it this way:

Scale length is simply the distance between the bridge and the nut. On any Jackson guitar (except for the Fusion), you have a 25½ inch scale length - regardless of if it has 22 or 24 frets. But a 24 fret neck is longer than a 22 fret neck, which means that if you put a 24 fret neck on a body built for 22 fret necks, the scale length is now longer than what it was originally. So, in order to keep a scale length of 25½ inches, you must position the bridge closer to the neck on a 24 fret guitar, or make the neckpocket deeper (or a bit of both).

'bane

Comment

I didn`t get this 22/24 neck thing because I remember when I bought an 80`s B.C. Rich NJ Warlock body and neck, I compared this neck to my 22 fret Charvel 375, as I remember, the distance from the nut to the beginning of the neck(don`t know the right therm) seemed the same. Only the fret width was different(1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc fret on the Charvel was wider than on the Warlock.)
                              So, every thing was the same, you simply got that extra 2 frets by making the fret width on the Warlock narrower.
                              I can`t compare it anymore as I don`t have that Warlock anymore(can you imagine why) [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X