Fun things to do to a body?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fun things to do to a body?

I'm sanding down a guitarbody. It's currently got a recessed floyd, but I'm planning on filling the floyd route and installing a string-tru style bridge. I'm also gonna fill the neck pup route, the volume hole and the 5-way switch route. I'm gonna put the volume pot in the tone-hole, and make it single hum.

Any interesting mods to perform on the body? suggestions that is. shooot.

Re: Fun things to do to a body?

Not a suggestion, but I've always wondered about filling in a floyd route to make a body string through. Let us know how it turns out!

Comment

+1. Make sure to document it well. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
      I've been thinking of converting a recessed trem body to non-recessed, so I'm definitely interested how it would turn out.

You could always move the output jack if it is in an inconvenient place. =) Or change the output jack to XLR? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I've read someplace about some guy who bought a strat, and left it with a tech to have the electronics replaced. Then when the tech took the pickguard off, he found this little metal medallion with a religious symbol glued to the bodywood. Both the tech and the owner agreed it was wisest to just leave it there in order not to disturb the mojo of the instrument. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Battery compartments? How about LEDs? Hmm...I suppose those would surve a better purpose as neck side markers though.

MOP tribal inlays then? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

The trem must go. I'm probably going to finish it in bright yellow too, I just need to resist the temptation of drilling it full of holes [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img].

In theory I just need to route the trem route nice and square, and then glue in a snugfitting wood block. Same with the spring cavity. I'm just going to follow the instructions on projectguitar.com, so success is pretty much inevitable.

More ideas?

Comment

If you have a bolt-on, sanding in a contoured heel would be nice ala Warmoth. They are real comfortable and I'm currently doing it to a Model 1.
          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

If this works out as well as your "Doweling The Studs on my Model 88" fiasco...stay tuned. This will be...interesting at best.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              If this works out as well as your "Doweling The Studs on my Model 88" fiasco...stay tuned. This will be...interesting at best.

[/ QUOTE ]
              Same axe, different tune.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                If you have a bolt-on, sanding in a contoured heel would be nice ala Warmoth. They are real comfortable and I'm currently doing it to a Model 1.

[/ QUOTE ]

One word of caution and thought in case you do this is to make sure BEFORE you put the neck screws back in that you check the length of them with the neck and plate on the body . If the original screws come close to the fretboard get shorter screws [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] . I've seen people accidently screw them in merrily only to hear wood splitting from the screw coming right out of the fretboard.

Comment

it's already contoured, so no worries there.

Comment

Drill a bunch of extra holes in the control cavity and change the position of the pots and switches every couple of weeks. It'll be just like having a bunch of different guitars! When the new wears off of one configuration just change it! Nothing like a little variety huh??
                    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Put it in your yard and burn it for awhile. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] There was a pic of an Ibanez one time going through different stages of fire. It looked really cool! I wish I could find the link. I think someone else here did that to a Kelly, too.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Lots and lots of BONDO [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                        I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Working...
                        X