Sperzels for Gibson-style headstocks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sperzels for Gibson-style headstocks?

Does Sperzel make tuners with posts long enough to get through a Les Paul Custom type headstock? I tried the regular staggered 6-in-lines and they don't fit.

If Sperzels don't work, what are some alternative locking tuners with metal machine heads?

Re: Sperzels for Gibson-style headstocks?

I'm pretty sure Sperzel makes a set of 3+3 to fit a Gibson, if not, check out Gotoh. They make some with a feature called "Magnum Lock".
    Not as quick and easy as Sperzel's locking system but still just as secure.
    I have a set of SG-38's I picked up for my latest Jackson mutt project and they're perfect. Another plus, they're cheaper than Sperzel's... price wise anyway. Set cost me $25.00 brand new from Warmoth.
    -Rick

Comment

I made a research before giving them a call tomorrow and looks like their 3-a-side version is totally different with longer shafts, different buttons etc, DUH!

I guess I will get 3-a-side Sperzels in gold, thanks!

Comment

I had a set of 3+3 Spertzels on my LP Standard, and they worked perfectly. Just keep in mind that you will need to drill a hole for the Spertzel lock post, and the screw holes from the old tuners will be visable with the new tuners in place.

Comment

You can also remove the roll pin on the tuner and not drill another hole.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What's to keep the tuner from spinning around, then? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              I had a set of 3+3 Spertzels on my LP Standard, and they worked perfectly. Just keep in mind that you will need to drill a hole for the Spertzel lock post, and the screw holes from the old tuners will be visable with the new tuners in place.

[/ QUOTE ]
              I don't mind that. My Custom is not even Gibson per se. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Grover makes sets of 3 + 3 locking tuners.
                Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Yes, the 3 + 3 Sperzels fit a Les Paul. I have them on 2 Customs.
                  Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What's to keep the tuner from spinning around, then? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Snugging up the locknut on the tuner holds it just fine.

Comment

Sperzels: I had them put on my LP Studio along with a graphite nut. So I know they exist but I didn't do the work. Huge improvement over the cheapie Gibson ivory looking tuners.

Comment

Is there a specific reason why you want locking tuners on a LP? I've found most of LP tuning problems are nut related.

I'm not a big Sperzel fan anymore. I like the concept, but not the execution. I've seen new ones with play in the gears, and I don't like the poor tuning ratio and the extra weight.

I've tried the Grovers with so-so success. I like the ratio (18:1) but the way the string locks seems cheesy. I don't like the fact you need a screwdriver or a coin to unlock the string.

Planet Waves work OK, but something seems cheap about them.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          Is there a specific reason why you want locking tuners on a LP? I've found most of LP tuning problems are nut related.

[/ QUOTE ]
                          Actually I am just changing the hardware from chrome to gold on my Edwards Sykes LPC. But I thought I might as well go for locking tuners while I am at it, because they make string changes a breeze. Although I wouldn't mind a set of those old-school winder Schallers if they were easy to find(yeah, I know mighty mite makes a copy...). [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

any Guitar Center will have the regular Schallers, I just put them on 3 different guitars. the only ones I had to special order were the lefty ones for the other side of my 12 string. those had to come from Germany. so unless you're a lefty or are doing a 12 string retrofit, you should be able to find just about any Schallers you want. especially in NYC.

they are great tuners, I love mine. don't get the copies, get the real thing. it does make a difference.

also I just put Grover mini locking rotos on my new tele, just for a change of pace.
                            the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              any Guitar Center will have the regular Schallers, I just put them on 3 different guitars.

[/ QUOTE ]
                              I am not talking about the regulars, I am talking about the '80s Schallers with winders which came with some LPCs.

I am getting Sperzels anyways. [img]/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X