Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dimensions questions (and legality issue)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dimensions questions (and legality issue)

Well first of, is it legal to ask people dimensions for their guitars so I could copy it? I will NOT sell the guitar I build. It's for myself only, to gain experience and do something I enjoy doing. I don't think there's technically anything wrong, but you never know...

Secondly, has anyone got, or knows where to find, templates for a soloist body? My project is going to be a COW DK6 basically. The neck is going to maybe have a different profile as obviously, it'll be my first try and therefore won't be perfect.

Re: Dimensions questions (and legality issue)

Yeah, thought about this, too.
    But wanted to rip a ESP M-II. Just because I think the reverse headstock looks better from ESP than Jackson.
    But their Custom-Shop is damn to expensive. They think they are so hot, cause all these Hammett kiddis run after them.

Upps...what guitar do I want? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

it's not illegal to ask, but no guitar manufacturer is going to give you the information. doesn't matter if you are going to sell it or not; you're potentially keeping them from making a sale (to you).
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

That's why I didn't want to post in the 'ask Jackson' section [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Basically all I'd need would be somewhere to get a soloist/dinky shape template. I already have the nut dimension of the neck (on the Jackson website) and therefore if the template has the neck pocket dimensions I'll be set (hahahaha pun...)

Comment

your best bet is to find someone that has one, and make a tracing. or, find a used body on ebay, and mod it to your liking. that's actually a better place to start (as opposed to starting from scratch).
          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
          Sully Guitars on Facebook
          Sully Guitars on Google+
          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Well I am going to buy the tools sometimes, and I am going to build a few guitars, I just know that. Moding a body... eh...I don't know. In all honesty, I just don't think how it'd help much. I mean it would if I for instance bought a 1 hum body and routed it for a SC in the neck, to get experience with a router and such, but for what I want to do as a project I'd rather just build it all.
            I know noone who even has any Jackson where I live [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] That's how popular they are in Europe... [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] But I sure will be on the lookout. The reason why I asked here is indeed because I can't find any.

Comment

for templates, look here:
              http://www.guitarbuildingtemplates.c...tricguitar.htm

I've started last week with 2 pieces of square wood to make myself a custom Dinky, and this time I'm using their templates. (The body is roughly cut already.. I'm in no hurry, I'm also building a new house..).

I've made a copycarver for myself also, look it up in google.. great tool if build correct for cloning.. but this time I'll do it the manual way!

One piece of advice, start with bolt-on first!

Second piece of advice, draw your guitar first 1:1 and you'll see relevant info like neck angle etc..

Comment

I was planning on doing advice 2. Not so sure about number 1 to be honest... Maybe I'll just order more wood for a neck and carve one out to use on the Charvel that needs it. Should be cheap enough and good practise too.
                Great site! Thanks!

HOT DAMN! Now I want to do a Mockinbird [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                X