Active vs. Passive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Active vs. Passive

Which is the difference between these two pickup systems ???
    Whose is better???

I m Waiting for replays

thanksss
    [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Re: Active vs. Passive

An "active" system is simply one that requires a power source inside the guitar. "Passive" is any guitar electronics setup that does not require a power source.

Active systems can differ a lot. EMG pickups are "active" systems that have a preamplifier built into the pickup body that requires power from a 9V battery. Theoretically, you could plug the output from a EMG-equipped guitar straight into a power amp or mixing board, although I don't know of anybody who actually does that. Instead, the EMG preamp 'fine-tunes' the signal coming out of the guitar into the preamp stage of a guitar amp, allowing a very crisp sound and precisely tuned frequency distribution.

On the other hand, the old Jackson "active" guitars have powered EQ circuits inserted into the signal chain after the pickups (I'm not sure whether they come before or after the regular tone control)--but the Jackson pickups themselves are "passive" in that they don't require a power supply.

Comment

[img]graemlins/stupid.gif[/img]

Comment

The EMG 85 is the coolest bridge pickup ever, IMO!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

An active pickup sound like a synthetic fabric, and a passive pickup sounds like a cotton fabric?
          My guitar has two passives Humbuckers and they sound rich, wonderful and well balance.
          I play prog rock and i dont see any of the great guitar players of these genre playing with active pick ups, why?

Farewell..

Comment

My active Reflex pups rule in any case.
            I'd buy a dozen more if I had the money and I could find them

Comment

Fusionpluspurple: what is your definition of "progressive rock?" Cause when you said, "Many of the great players of that genre..." I was lost. Great and progressive. I don't get it. Fill me in.
              "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
              Gotta get away from here.
              Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
              Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

The progressive rock its a type of music, like "dream theater", "LIQUID TENSION PROJECT", "MAGELLAN", "EXPLORERS CLUB" AND OF COURSE RUSH.

Comment

Prog Rock kicks ass... Rush, Yes, King Crimson, Fates Warning, Dream Theater, Symphony X are some of my favorites! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by fusionpluspurple:
                    An active pickup sound like a synthetic fabric, and a passive pickup sounds like a cotton fabric?
                    My guitar has two passives Humbuckers and they sound rich, wonderful and well balance.
                    I play prog rock and i dont see any of the great guitar players of these genre playing with active pick ups, why?

Farewell..
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Maybe passive aggressive = progressive?
                    [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

The prog guys probably like the unique sounds their rigs get, and active pickups
                    tend to impart "their" sound. EMGs are
                    well known as having a great sound, yet
                    whatever guitars they're used on tend to sound like the pickup, not like the guitar. Also, when the battery goes dead
                    your guitar makes farty noises before it
                    dies completely, which can be embarassing!
                    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I have a two DI marzio s in my guitars and it sounds very good.
                      I don t understand because many people hate this pups.

I don t like too much, The artificially and synthetic sound, like nü metal bands
                      [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Toejam:
                      We have the same tastes in music, congratulations. You have a good ear, man! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Dead batteries are a minimal problem. I haven't changed mine in a year!

People think they sound sterile cuz they are use to more midrange sounds. The flat response throws allot of people I think. Some people must think EMG's are this black box full of hi tech chips or something. It's just a pickup with a pre amp boost. If I want a warm sound all I need to do is up the mids.
                        If you are after a tight aggressive sound the EMG delivers and you can count on it.
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

Originally posted by fusionpluspurple:
                          I have a two DI marzio s in my guitars and it sounds very good.
                          I don t understand because many people hate this pups.

I don t like too much, The artificially and synthetic sound, like nü metal bands
                          [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Toejam:
                          We have the same tastes in music, congratulations. You have a good ear, man! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I own one DiMarzio, an X2N (I put it in my old crappy plywood Kramer years ago), and I love it! I've been actually thinking of putting it in my Model 5A since it will most likely sound much better in real wood. I may put it in backwards so it's not as harsh on the high end. Years ago I preferred more high end, but I like a little more low end and midrange lately (more high mids than low mids). I've also been thinking about the DiMarzio Norton. I've got guitars with Duncans - JB/59, Invader/Invader, Pearly Gates Plus/59, EMG 81/85, 85/60. My favorite pup so far is the EMG 85 (a little fuller and not as bright as the 81), but I'll try just about anything.

As for the taste in good music... great minds think alike! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I also took almost a year of lessons from Mike Romeo of Symphony X about 15 years ago. Too bad I still can't play 1/4 good as him! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] And Fates Warning has been my favorite band since the late '80s when Ray Alder joined the band, not that I didn't like John Arch's vocals, but... [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

[ February 18, 2003, 02:12 PM: Message edited by: toejam ]

Comment

Ever notice a lot of the prog-rock guys prefer DiMarzio? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/idea2.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat:
                              Maybe passive aggressive = progressive?
                              [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

The prog guys probably like the unique sounds their rigs get, and active pickups
                              tend to impart "their" sound. EMGs are
                              well known as having a great sound, yet
                              whatever guitars they're used on tend to sound like the pickup, not like the guitar. Also, when the battery goes dead
                              your guitar makes farty noises before it
                              dies completely, which can be embarassing!
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">that is the common misconception. EMGs don't sound like the pickup, they sound like the guitar. why? because of the flat response curve they won't enhance any specific qualities. a passive pickup will add its own tone to the tone of the guitar.

never heard of the farty noises, but I'm thinking that would be cool for something [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                              I guitar, therefore, I am a Guitarer

http://iguitarer.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                              X