Opinions on DXMG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on DXMG

I´ve found one in the classifieds and need your opinion. I´ve owned a RR Professional, the red one in Melanders topic, and I own a US Jackson Dinky S/N 1720 which I love.
    Would this one come close to those mentioned above?
    Where was it made? Quality?

Regards JT

Re: Opinions on DXMG

older models were made in korea? (correct me if wrong)

2001 models and later were made in japan.

i LOVE my dxmg. Its my main player in college. Its got a crazy lot action, and the JT580LP trem works pretty well (i don't really use the trem). I replaced the pickups with EMG81/60s, and they're great. the neck is REALLY thin. It cramps my hand sometimes if i dont warm up and properly stretch it out.

overall, a GREAT guitar for the price i paid : 299 new from American Musical last spring. (It was a web offer only or something).

hope this helps!

~eric

Comment

I've had mine for a while now, it's a Japanese model, in black. The neck is really thin, like mentioned above, but it's fast, too. I've had no problems with mine, and I play it 90% of the time. The pickups will need replacing, if you don't like the sound they give off, really plain, and flat sounding. I'd say buy it.

Comment

i tried a couple at GC and i thought they were mediocre. they all played pretty nice, but the guitars don't seem to sustain/resonate.

Comment

It may have something to do with being lucky, coz' mine rocks dude.

It sounds great and the feel is awesome, very low action straight from the store.
          [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
          Facebook - Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by illumina:
            older models were made in korea? (correct me if wrong)

2001 models and later were made in japan.

and the JT580LP trem works pretty well
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Older ones were made in India.

Trem is JT500... unless they changed them.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Hey Toejam,

Mine has the JT580LP.
              Facebook - Youtube

Comment

Hmm, I guess they must have changed them over then.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Ya think, Joe?

[img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I love my DXMG...I swapped the pickups for the typical EMG 85/81 setup. I'm a little iffy on the 81 in the bridge...it sounds very tinny when clean...but it roars when I hit the Big Muff. Pretty good guitar...it feels solid and the neck is thin and wide and fast. It's a Jackson so you can't go wrong. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I love my DXMG. I have one of the first year production models. The 1st year of production they were made in India, since then they have been made in Japan. The made in India DXMG has a JT500 trem, the Japanese production DXMGs have the JT580 trem.

The neck is thin and plays fast & smooth. The JT500 trem is not the greatest, but it isn't complete crap. I actually like the stock EMG HZ pickups. This was the first guitar that I owned and the neck pickup didn't sound muddy. I eventually will swap them out for active EMGs, probably 81/89, unless the 81 sounds too thin in it, then I will try the 85/89 combo.
                      KV DM PRO, SLSXMG, RRXMG, DXMG, LP P90 Goldtop_GSP1101_RM4: JF SL-OD100_Randall RT2/50_Peavey 4x12 cab
                      I'm loving the Jaded Faith mods. Going Egnater Dual mod route: Voxless, SL-OD100, Brahma #39, QuickMod GT

Comment

I also like the sound of the HZ's. They sound nice through my AVT150H. Some may differ here, but hey, different people, different taste.

Enjoy.
                        [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                        Facebook - Youtube

Comment

Thanks A lot!
                          Very usefull information.
                          One question though, Koz, what amp do you use and what kind of music do you play?
                          Me and my colleague uses DSL100's with full gain and 81/85, guitars tuned in B.
                          I´ve been looking for that extra edge for some parts. Would the Big Muff do the job?
                          Would $350 be a good price for a used DXMG?

JT

Comment

Well I paid $500.00 (new) for mine from a local shop, but I think Matt@OSG (banner ad at top of page) has new DXMGs for about $300-$350. So I would go that route, otherwise I would say $200 wouldn't be too bad of a price.

I play through a small rack, which has a Peavey TubFex and Peavey Classic 50/50 poweramp. And I run it through a 2x12 cab. I pretty much play old school Metal (Megadeth, Metallica, Anthrax, Ratt, older Ozzy, etc). But I do like the clean tones I can get from the Neck pickup.

[ February 14, 2003, 08:27 AM: Message edited by: Hamner1 ]
                            KV DM PRO, SLSXMG, RRXMG, DXMG, LP P90 Goldtop_GSP1101_RM4: JF SL-OD100_Randall RT2/50_Peavey 4x12 cab
                            I'm loving the Jaded Faith mods. Going Egnater Dual mod route: Voxless, SL-OD100, Brahma #39, QuickMod GT

Comment

Tornet I play a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. I use my DXMG mainly for metal and hard rock, but that's not to say that I won't use it for anything else I'm in the mood to play...I've been known to try some older U2 on it. My DXMG is tuned in Eb. I have a USA Big Muff Pi...in my opinion it's a great sounding distortion that's pretty flexible...I've played ProCo Rat pedals for 15 years before I thought I'd try something a little different. The Muff can really scream and sounds a little smoother and creamier than the Rat does.

Comment

Working...
                              X