Set neck question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Set neck question

I have the opportunity to pick up a guitar with a set neck (which is new territory for me). The major issue is that the current neck needs a new fretboard. Realizing that this would probably be very costly, my next thought is locating a replacement neck. Obviously, replacing a set neck is a bit more complicated than just putting a new bolt on.

Any ideas?

I'd be getting the thing for next to nothing, so parting out the body and hardware might be worth it. Just wondering if salvaging is within the realm of possiblities or it's just too much....

Thanks! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Re: Set neck question

its cheaper to refret it than get a new neck.

Comment

That's kinda what I was thinking. Besides, having a capable luthier/tech do the refret is probably a safer bet than trying to figure out how to replace a set neck myself! [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

new fretboard or new frets? i saw an SG sell a week or so back that had a replacement board glued on that hung off either side of the neck. if its that one sell it to me ! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

chris

Comment

I guess it's rosewood, he?
          A friend of mine has an old Ibanez LP. The original frets are real down so is the FB.

Comment

Fretboard or frets? Big difference. Frets are not really a big deal. Either way, replacing the whole neck is something you do not want to get into.
            Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Sorry, it's not the SG. The set neck is fine, but the original fretboard had frets coming out, so the guy tried to put on a new fret board (and frets), which didn't work. So, it sounds like if I want to take this on, I'll need to have a new fretboard (with new frets) put on the neck.

Comment

Working...
              X