Changing pickups on a DK2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing pickups on a DK2

I just bought a DK2, and I'm kinda turned off by the Jackson humbucker. Anyone here tried something different on theirs? I'm looking for the same bridge humbucker sound that I get with my SL2H. The DK2 is too hot and too trebly for my liking, so I thought I would put a JB in there. I realize that it won't sound the same because of the different construction methods and materials, so I need some experienced opinions. Thanks,

Scott

Re: Changing pickups on a DK2

I'm going to try an Armstrong to replace the Bridge pickup of my DK2. I'll let you know how it goes. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
    Facebook - Youtube

Comment

I'm actually not satisfied with the JB in my SL2H. I may try a Lawrence L500XL in the bridge.
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

The stock pickup on a DK2 is basically a watered down JB, so I guess if the stock one is too hot for your liking the "real" pickup will be too hot as well. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Well the "construction materials" are pretty much the same as your soloist.

Alder body/maple neck

While the neck-through does sound different, in my experience the difference is a minor one.

Based on that, I'd think that whatever sounds good in your SL2H should sound good in the Dinky.

But then, hey.. I'm not you and it's your ears..

Comment

racer,

if you change PUPs your sl2, ill gladly take your JB if you dont need it [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

~eric

Comment

emg 81 would sound great in the bridge as well, pretty hot but real clean and smooth sounding , but you'd have to change the singles coils as well , or you should anyway , I'd try that you should like it ! what kind of music do you play ? //Steve

Comment

Great ideas so far guys. To illumina- I was gonna post something similar. As for the pickup in my DK2 being a "watered down" version of a JB- I just don't hear it that way. My noise gate settings are the same for just about everything and the DK2 was screamin' right thru it. I'm still reading though, so keep the advice comin', if ya don't mind.
                Along the same lines, how do you think changing the resistance of the pickup by adding a small resistor before the volume pot would work out? I haven't checked it out yet so that idea is just a fantasy for now.

Comment

Steve- I'm curious about the EMG's after watching Zakk in the new Live at Budokan dvd, but I don't think I'm ready to travel to the world of active pickups yet. I play just about anything I get a wild hair to, but mainly along the '80's metal and '70's hard rock lines. At first I didn't like the JB in my SL2H, but after some time has gone by I find that I actually prefer it. They have more clarity when played thru a high gain amp than anything else I've ever played, but that's not saying a whole lot for my past experience with pickups. I am just looking for an easy way to use the DK2 as a gig backup without changing my amp and effects settings.

Comment

scott,

its your thread, so if racer does get a new pup and wants to sell, i wont interfere. i just struck a deal for a set of EMG81/60s...

~eric

Comment

No sweat Eric, the last thing I'm gonna worry about is getting a pickup before someone on the board snatches it up. No offense to anyone, but unless I can save a considerable amount of cash on a used JB then I would prefer to buy a new one anyway. Thanks for the thought though, I quite appreciate it! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I put a Duncan Screamin Demon in the bridge and a cool rail in the neck...along with a real Floyd...major improvement IMHO
                        shawnlutz.com

Comment

A lot of people say the JB sounds better in a guitar with a warmer sounding body like mahogany than with alder. I have the JB in my Hamer that's got a mahogany body/neck and think it sounds really nice, though to me it seems like it doesn't have as much output as I'd like and could be hotter.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I have some armstrongs if you guys want them! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by myorangecat:
                              I have some armstrongs if you guys want them! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hi dude!

Could you email with models and price please? I tried one M214 on my Kelly and it kicks some major a$s!. I was experimenting with the neck M213 on the bridge of my DK2, it gets a lot of bottom end, and a nice round sound, although not too much distortion. Very nice harmonics though.

[ February 13, 2003, 09:34 PM: Message edited by: kuerbo ]
                              Facebook - Youtube

Comment

Working...
                              X