• Show
Clear All

• pickups for my project guitar and why

The specs of my guitar are as follows
    basswood body
    floyd rose tremolo
    bolt on neck (maple/rosewood)
    h-s pickup configuration

What pickups would guys drop in their and why? Right now im leaning towards some type of seymore duncan, but i dont really know for sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    www.soundclick.com/patricklukens

www.myspace.com/patricklukens

Re: pickups for my project guitar and why

Well, with that exact combo of specs, I went with a Distortion/Hot Rails. the thing is truly a shred machine, an absolute beast.

What type of sound are you looking to get out of this guitar?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      Well, with that exact combo of specs, I went with a Distortion/Hot Rails. the thing is truly a shred machine, an absolute beast.

What type of sound are you looking to get out of this guitar?

[/ QUOTE ]

a good rock/metal tone. I dont need CRAAAZY gain or HUGE scooped mids.
      www.soundclick.com/patricklukens

www.myspace.com/patricklukens

Comment

<font color="yellow">For the humbucker, I'd try the Duncan Custom or 59' Bridge pickup....these are my favorite pickups after trying many out......but I like the Custom a little bit more.....just sounds a little fuller...but a good 59' sounds great too.

For a single spaced pickup, the only one I have heard yet is the Duncan Hot Rails which I had in my SD Jackson Strat...and it was a very good pickup.

I recently bought a Duncan Lil 59' but haven't installed it yet, so I don't know what to say, but everything I've heard is good about them. </font>

Comment

Tone Zone in the bridge (or JB), and for the neck,do the Hot Rail if you want it humbucking and fat, but maybe a Dimarzio HS model or Fender Lace Sensor if you want to "clean it up" when going to the neck.

I dunno, sounds like some options...

Comment

If you want a mid spike, go with the Custom/Custom. I'll be dropping that into a couple of basswood bodies pretty soon. I've tried the Custom, and it's a decent pickup, but I love my Distortions too much as far as ceramic magnets go. You could also look into the Custom 5, although I've nbot tried it yet. The Custom 5 will sound like a hotter 59, and the 59 is a great pickup. So I can't think that would be too bad. If you rely on your amp for most of your gain, the 59 is a good one to try. It can do practically anything with the right amp. If you want something a little hotter, try one of the Custom series. And like I said, if you want all out shred (among LOTS of other tonal capabilities) try a Distortion.

Comment

Evolution/Hot Rails high output rock metal

Screamin Demon/ HS-3 or YJM low output rock metal

Depending on your amp rig, one of these combo's would be great.

For active I would go EMG 89 with a coil tap pot and the EMG SA.

Comment

The guitar you described sounds like a Charvel Fusion Deluxe. I have two.

The 100% stock one with the rosewood neck sounds very good with the original J90C and the Jackson Rails for the single.

The one I have with the ebony neck I put in an EMG81 and an EMG-S. It's a great shredder guitar.

Comment

I've been pleasantly surprised by Duncan's JB and Screamin' Demon humbuckers in basswood, even though I don't care for either pickup in brighter woods like alder or ash. Not over-the-top output, but very good for any rock or metal.
                  sigpic

Comment

with the basswood body i would go either distortion or custom custom. (ceramic or alnico 2)
                    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Working...
                    X