SL-3 and SL-4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SL-3 and SL-4

I have seen many SL-3 for sale but fewer SL-4 Was the sl-4 basicly the same guitar with different pick ups? What should they go for used?

Thanks

Kevin
    It's not a competition, it's a community

Re: SL-3 and SL-4

Basicly the same guitar. The SL3 and SL4 was the import answer to the SL1 and SL2H. A few months ago you could get one of the last new SL4 for $500 or so on discontinue.

Matt

[ February 04, 2003, 11:02 PM: Message edited by: OnlineStageGear ]

Comment

Thanks for the info

What would be fair for a good used sl-3? in a transparent color?

Kevin
      It's not a competition, it's a community

Comment

Also, the SL4 has 22 frets while the SL3 has 24. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Anders
        https://www.facebook.com/cutupofficial

Comment

For a used SL3 in a trans color I wouldn't go more than about $650 or so. And that's assuming it's in good shape or better. They can be had for $999 new from MF. I don't know if I'd pay that much for one though. Mine's an excellent guitar, but I don't know if they're worth a grand. If you can get one for about $650, try and do that.

Comment

[img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img] For $650, I`d opt for a nice Used Hamer USA or Jackson USA or Carvin USA(hell, you can get a new Carvin one for $650) guitar. I [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] bought a New [img]graemlins/puke.gif[/img] SL4 in Black for $500 [img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img] (no case) and it wasn`t even close to a Hamer-Carvin or Jackson USA [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] guitar in quality, I sent it back. I bought a Mint 1997 Hamer USA Phantom with Hamer USA case for $430 Shipped!! The SL3 and SL4 are vastly overpriced. I ordered a New Jacskson SL2H in Black with case for $1244 and that included Tax out the door!! I would rather have a Black DK2 in Black for $279 than a Black SL4 for $500. I am sorry if I offended anyone, but the SL4 lacked that Jackson Mojo if you will. I can get a Used Mint 1997 Hamer USA Studio(Mahogany flame top real MOP, etc-etc) with case for $799. I can`t justify what Jackson charges for the SL3 and SL4 [img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img] Jack.

Comment

So the SL-4 was based on the SL2H? What differences where there other then quality? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

I think quality is a very important isuue here my friend... [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img]
                Facebook - Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Outlaw:
                  So the SL-4 was based on the SL2H? What differences were there other than quality? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">SL2H is USA made, SL4 is Japanese made.

[ February 06, 2003, 11:32 AM: Message edited by: toejam ]
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by slayer:
                    [img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img] For $650, I`d opt for a nice Used Hamer USA or Jackson USA or Carvin USA(hell, you can get a new Carvin one for $650) guitar. I [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] bought a New [img]graemlins/puke.gif[/img] SL4 in Black for $500 [img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img] (no case) and it wasn`t even close to a Hamer-Carvin or Jackson USA [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] guitar in quality, I sent it back. I bought a Mint 1997 Hamer USA Phantom with Hamer USA case for $430 Shipped!! The SL3 and SL4 are vastly overpriced. I ordered a New Jacskson SL2H in Black with case for $1244 and that included Tax out the door!! I would rather have a Black DK2 in Black for $279 than a Black SL4 for $500. I am sorry if I offended anyone, but the SL4 lacked that Jackson Mojo if you will. I can get a Used Mint 1997 Hamer USA Studio(Mahogany flame top real MOP, etc-etc) with case for $799. I can`t justify what Jackson charges for the SL3 and SL4 [img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img] Jack.
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hey, where did you get your SL-2H from for that price?? Was it guitarexpress???

Comment

The SL4 also does not have neck binding. My friend has one and loves it. It plays nicely...but I'm not one who enjoys Soloist necks.

Comment

Originally posted by kuerbo:
                        I think quality is a very important isuue here my friend... [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img]
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I wasn't say it wasn't bro.I just wanted to know if the SL4 has all the same specs as the SL2H only made in Japan.

[ February 06, 2003, 04:28 PM: Message edited by: Outlaw ]

Comment

The 22 frets, the horrible-looking plastic inlays, and the JT-580 trem are the deal-killers on the SL4 for me. At least the SL3 has 24 frets, but it still has the other lame-o stuff like the SL4. For that kind of money, you can do a LOT better. Recent used USA Jacksons, for example...

Comment

I am buying my Black SL2H with case and tax for $1244 out the door at Hollowood Music here in Pittsburgh,PA. They will match price, but I do have to pay tax, but it all equalls out in the end and if something goes wrong, I can drive down there with the guitar and they will fix it right there!! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] Jack.

Comment

I don't understand all this ranting about the sl-4. A bolt-on Japanese made dk2 is great but a neck through Japanese made sl-4 is crap? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

The main feature advantages of the sl-3/4's are the real duncans and a neck through body. sl-3's are still around (check Matt's site), and sl-4's were gone mid-late last year.

Comment

Working...
                              X