Seymour Duncan Custom Custom on a Soloist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seymour Duncan Custom Custom on a Soloist

I've got a Charvel 650XL and I'm planning on putting a Custom Custom on it. Will it sound well on a neckthru guitar?

I expect it to be a pickup with a nice "singing" sound for solos and enough distortion and low end for rhythm hard rock/classic metal, since this guitar is quite trebly already. Is this pickup what I'm looking for?

Re: Seymour Duncan Custom Custom on a Soloist

that should work fine.

the custom custom or tb-11 is what doug aldrich has been using in his guitars up until he recently switched over to the john suhr SSH+. the tb-11 has an alnico 2 magnet. so it will be comparable to a cross between the alnico pro II and an EMG 85. should be great for rock/classic metal!
    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

also if you want a liitle more mids and a little less highs try the tb-14, great choice for a neckthrough, in my humble opinion....

jon

Comment

I use a Custom Custom in my Ibanez... very smooth mids with plenty of bite for solo work.
        Use 500k pots with it and you will definately be able to let it breath. I have tried a set of CTS 1M pots and did notice a bit more range in tone and volume control, but not enough to warrant replacing a set of 500k pots if you already have them. It's a pretty hot pick-up.
        This one is a definate keeper.
        -Rick

Comment

I put one in my Hamer Special FM and was so impressed that I ordered two more for my Model 1 and Model 2 projects. Of course, I've never tried it in a neck thru, but it should sound pretty sweet. I might even like it as much as the Distortion. [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] Well, only time will tell on that. But it is a nice sounding pickup.

Comment

Thank you all for your help. I'll definitely give it a try as soon as I find one on eBay for cheap.

I have the Duncan Distortion on this guitar and I like it, but I'm moving it to my new Predator mutt. I want to try something different on the 650XL.

Comment

I used a Custom Custom on my RR1 for a short while...but it worked very well...I think it's the right choice! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              '90 (8?) Jackson Soloist Professional
              '97 Jackson RR1 Pile o'skulls
              '97 Gibson Les Paul Classic
              '92 Fender Strat scallop
              '97 BC Rich perfect Bich
              '99 Burns Brian May black beauty

Comment

Working...
              X