Clearcoating an autograph?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clearcoating an autograph?

I'm looking for recommendations on clearcoating over the top of an autograph which is on the back of my DK2's entire neck area? Has anyone had any success with this or should I just buy a replacement neck and keep the autographed one the way it is? I really hope there is any easy way to protect the autographs and leave the neck on the guitar since a replacement neck will cost so much. Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks!
    E = Fb

Re: Clearcoating an autograph?

if you're gonna do it yourself, build up about 8-10 light coats of krylon #1313 satin clear. that's probably the easiest way to go, and since it's satin, you don't have to wetsand or buff it. be sure to mask the fretboard and headstock face before you try it.
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I guess that would be my next question, what is the original finish? ...and would the satin finish stick to it without any prepping?
      E = Fb

Comment

should have either an oiled neck or a satin finish. you'll want to clean the neck before you shoot anything on it, but other than that, just build up a lot of light coats.
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

whos autograph is it?
          i got one of marty friedman on my guitar luckly its on the pickguard

Comment

Any worries about the new finish reacting with the ink in the signature?

Comment

Working...
            X