X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to buy neck thru blanks...

Like this:
    http://www.carvin.com/products/singl...=NT6&CID=GTR/K
    But anything different, cheaper, with more options, would be welcome [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    Also does anyone know what radius those Carvin necks are?

Re: Where to buy neck thru blanks...

The only other one I know of is more expensive.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bodies,_neck...uitar_Neck.html

I'd go with the Carvin. If you think about it, it's not very much money for what it is. You can also get it without inlays and a paddle head. I have one, and it is 16" radius I think.

Comment

I'll do the one without inlays and paddle head and carve my own headstock [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Thanks!

Comment

heh. and what's funny is that the blank that stewmac sells is made by carvin. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Weirdly enough the 7 string one corresponds more to what I'd want... *sigh*
          Ah good call about the Stewmac one. I'm a little weary of calling up Carvin for it though... eh I guess for something that er, 'simple', I guess it'll be well done...

Comment

lemme ask ya.... do you have a fair amount of woodworking experience?
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Lmii sells true neck blanks. These Carvin, Stewmac ones they call them blanks but I don't consider them true blanks because they are mostly finished. LMII and Gilmer Wood are probably the best places to go for true unfinished blanks but maybe what sully was getting at is that you need some good woodworking experience to take a true blank and make it into an actual neck. Also, this may sound odd but check ebay. I periodically see thru neck finished blanks like the Stewmac one that are in different woods (mahogany with rosewood, birdseye/birdseye etc)

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                lemme ask ya.... do you have a fair amount of woodworking experience?

[/ QUOTE ]
                Nope [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I'll buy enough wood for 2 sets of wings. One I'll try to do my best on it, get practise with the router and such, and then use the rest for the definitive product. It will be a learning experience indeed.

Wait... that Carvin neck I linked you to, it's totally finished right?

Comment

okay,. here's my honest opinion.

i read your other thread about the guitar that you'd like to have built, and it looks neat. i highly recommend that your first step toward that be assembling a parts guitar. you can do something very close to your idea from a place like warmoth, or perhaps a european equivalent?

if you have someone near you that has some good woodworking experience, i'd say go for it. but it's also important to not bite too much off at first, so to speak.
                  Sully Guitars on Google+
                  Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

There are no places in Europe like Warmoth. Closer thing I could do would be a Saga kit. Sure those are cheap, but I already assembled/disassembled guitars before (my 2 model series I messed with and cleaned up from headstock to butt)so it wouldn't be that much new I guess.
                    With what I want to do, I have room for error, it's not that expensive (200 bucks for the neck, let's say 30 for a second hand TOM bridge, I have a pickup already, maybe 30 for oil and sealer, and another 100 for wood and electronics) and I wouldn't feel too bad about messing it up: I'm forgiving with myself, but only once.
                    I had considered a Saga kit or a Carvin bolt on before. But if I have to do it all, it's too expensive. I'm a student, jobless, and all the money I have left is from my birthday. Next christmas I'm going to the US so I won't be able to do it then... it really is a 'now or a in a year' situation, and I honestly really feel I can do a decent job at it, simply because I'm willing to make the mistakes and learn from them, just as I'm willing to go for it.
                    It's sad that money is a factor [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] But it's always a bit like this I guess. Thanks for your kind world, I appreciate :-) I'm asking around on several forums on how to do it. I'll first buy the parts, then ask on how to proceed, make a plan of action, check it to see if everything works out, and then starts definitely.

Comment

I'd have to go with Sully. I know a fair bit about guitar building from my friend, who has built several. It took him three or four attempts to nail it. The one that he really nailed it he bought his wood from Gilmer. He got a 44 inch neck thru sized blank of quartersawn rosewood, a 2 piece honduran mahogany body and a very nice Macassar Ebony fretboard and he got a bookmatched quilted sapele top. the first time he did that he had almost the same woods and he tried to carve the top down but it didn't come out quite right. The second time he just did a flat 3/8 top. Anyways its not hard gluing the wings to the neck, putting the top one. Getting good with your cutting takes practice though and sanding and radiusing can be a bitch for a newbie at it. You wouldn't wanna see pictures of the wood from his first two attempts.

What I am saying is don't expect to get it right the first 5 times, be fair to yourself. Also building your own guitar is cheaper but its not cheap. Once you get good it may be cheap. Starting out though it can be rough. So I'm with sully, I'd say its not a great idea. Your doing yourself a favor though if you get a pre cut and radiused neck because that can be very tricky.

So if your set on doing this get a basic neck from carvin or stew mac, get some body wings and make your first attempt. Don't try and get too fancy your first time. Normally I'd recommend against even doing a neck thru on your first guitar. Since your doing a prefinished neck its not so bad. I wish you good luck and if you have any questions I'll try and see if I can get answers from my friend about them.

Comment

That's the reason why I want to use the blank. Then later on I'll try and build a neck by itself, and then maybe combine it all, but that's a few years in the future.
                        I'm selling my drum kit for this project. It really is something I want to do.
                        For the first attempt, screw the radius and little details. I'll do what's cheaper and easier. It shall be the Carvin blank. The only thing I'm worried about is that it won't be resonant. For some reason it's the only real fear I have, I want something that resonates a lot.
                        Thanks guys!

Comment

Oh don't worry about the resonance, as long as you properly put it together you should be fine. The first attempt may not have as much resonance and sustain as your 2nd or third attempt, but it should be plenty good enough. It sounds like your committed which is good cause this will probably test your patience, but just don't be to hard on yourself if you screw up. Other than that have fun and make sure to post pictures as your going along or ask if you have any questions and concerns, there are several experienced builders on here.

Comment

He pierre,

There is a place like warmoth in holland, vox humana they are a bit more expensive i think but maybe it is worth while to check them out, link below goes directly to the neck through body necks page.

PAGE

Comment

I did check them out, they're just way too much for a first try [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I had planned on calling them for when I do a definitive good try though, thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X