SD JB in the neck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SD JB in the neck?

Hey guys, i just played an RR5 and it had a JB in the neck. I actually sounded awesome, very clear and smooth sound. Totally shocked by it. Any one else have this?

Also, not i've played with an EMG 81, i won't be touching one again, they sound crappy to my ears [img]/images/graemlins/eviltongue.gif[/img]
    93 USA Soloist EDS
    USA HT6 Juggernaut
    Charvel DK24FR

Re: SD JB in the neck?

I believe Y2KVs had two JBs, too. I wasn't too impressed with the neck PU's tone in the one I had for a while. It wasn't horrid or anything, but I did not like it on clean settings. The JB sounded fine in the bridge, though.

And I'm not an EMG fan, either. They sounded pretty sterile in my old DK1. A real pity, too, because that guitar was a total ripper otherwise.

Comment

i'll have to look more into the JB.

The EMG sounded really raspy and didn't have enough balls to it. Maybe the 85 is better after all
      93 USA Soloist EDS
      USA HT6 Juggernaut
      Charvel DK24FR

Comment

I used to have a jb in the neck position of my rhoads, with a super distortion bridge.
        Sounded great, very smooth, and not muddy, for leads anyway.
        For cleans the 59 in there now sounds better, but for leads, i highly recommend the jb, even though i´m no pickup expert by far.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          i'll have to look more into the JB.

The EMG sounded really raspy and didn't have enough balls to it. Maybe the 85 is better after all

[/ QUOTE ]
          Never tried a JB in the neck, but I had one in the bridge of my old Hamer Special (with a '59 in the neck) and didn't really like it. The JB had too much high midrange and was lacking bass. I put a set of chrome EMG 81s in and they definitely kicked the JB/59 combo's ass! I normally prefer the 85, but the 81 worked great in the Hamer, much better than the lame JB.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I had a JB in the neck position on my KV2. Didn't like it very much. I prefer a Jazz or a 59.

Comment

I thought the JB was only intended (or made) for the bridge position? Wouldn't installing it in the neck position result in the pole pieces being misaligned with the strings?
              JB is my favorite PU BTW...

Comment

I have a JB Jr. in the neck of my Soloist, and it sounds absolutely amazing for lead work. Think hot rodded Les Paul neck tone, but with clarity. It's an interesting choice for the neck, but a limited one, which is why I only have it in one guitar. If you try to play clean, it is way too boomy and high output.

singlehum: While hard to find in unusual applications, Duncan makes around 3/4 of it's pickups in both neck and bridge versions, standard and trem spaced. I know a jazz guitarist who uses two Jazz pickups in his L5.

Comment

I used to use two Invaders in my old Kelly with great results. As a matter of fact, I've got a DiMarzion Super D and Super 2 in my Carvin... both have the same amount of output, just the S2 has more treble. Usually you use lower-powered pups in the neck, but you can use ones that have the same amount of power as the bridge.
                  It's not a good idea, however, to use a higher-powered pup in the neck than one in the bridge, because the sound won't be balanced that way.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                  X