Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which pickup goes where?

Hey folks!

I messed up, I don't know which of the Jackson pups in my KV Standard that goes where. One is labeled JH-2 10.8 with a brass colored "base plate" or whatever it's called. I can't really make out what the other pup says apart from 10.2... [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] and it has a "silver" colored "base plate".

I had EMG's in the guitar, and when I installed them, I just ripped the existing electronics out. Yeah I know, really smart right... [img]/images/graemlins/idea2.gif[/img] at least I learned my lesson. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

So can anyone help me with this? The next step will be to get everything soldered correctly... but I thought I might find some help in this maybe??:

Thanks
    Anders
    https://www.facebook.com/cutupofficial

Re: Which pickup goes where?

Why the switch back?

If you have a DDM, measure each pickup and put the hotter one in the rear.

Comment

I have to sell the guitar, because I bought a BC Rich Jr V, and I'm gonna put the EMG's in the Rich instead. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Ok, don't have a DDM... I guess my father does, but if anyone happens to know which one goes where I'd appreciate it, so I can finish the guitar today.

Comment

Assuming when you took the pickups out you just unsoldered the old wires (vs. cutting them). If so, does one pickup have longer wires than the other? If one has wires about 3 to 5 inches longer than the other, then that is the neck pickup.

Also, is there any other markings on the pickups? Some manufacturers put an "F" for front or neck and a "R" for rear or bridge position

Comment

I thought the same thing MD... but the wires were the same length. No, these are Jackson-logoed pickups,and there's something that might be an F on the one that I couldn't make out the text on. Hmm...

Comment

10.8 is hotter and should go in the bridge. Put the 10.2 in the neck. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I agree w/ Joe. If the #s refer to the DC resistance, then the 10.8 probably was the bridge pup. It's a quick & dirty way to make an educated guess. Resistance doesn't = output, as any electronics guru will tell you (Bill Lawrence goes on a major rant about it on his site), but in most cases if you compare pickups or look at a table of specs, the hotter pickups will have higher resistance values.

Comment

Thanks alot! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I was guessing that it might something like that, but since I know jack shit about electronics, I didn't wanna risk doing wrong.

I have one more question: the ground cables that sit under the pups, and the one that's connected to where the springs are attached... do I solder them to the volume pot casing, and then another cable from the pot to the "ground clip" in the control cavity? Or directly to the "ground clip"?

As you can tell, I'm really an amateur... and a complete moron for not taking pics of everything before I ripped it out!! [img]/images/graemlins/stupid.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  the ground cables that sit under the pups, and the one that's connected to where the springs are attached... do I solder them to the volume pot casing, and then another cable from the pot to the "ground clip" in the control cavity?

[/ QUOTE ]
                  Yes....Now all you have to do is buy a multimeter and you'll be an expert!

Comment

Thanks dude! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Check the spacing on the pole pieces - if the Jackson pups are like the gibsons, the spacing of the pole pieces should be wider on the bridge pup.

Comment

Working...
                      X