Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Different dimensions from a 25.5 scale to a 24.75.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different dimensions from a 25.5 scale to a 24.75.

Does anyone know the exact measurments for a 24.75 scale from bridge to beginning of neck pocket? Basically Im trying to figure out how much needs to change to fit a 24.75 scale neck on a 25.5 body.
    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Re: Different dimensions from a 25.5 scale to a 24.75.

I've bolted up 24 3/4" neck to a 25 1/2" body - no issues as long as they are both 24 frets.

Comment

Really? No intonation problems? Thats good to know!

No as for how they feel... well? I cant recall ever knowingly playing a 24.75 guitar before... any comments? I see its not real popular for some reason.
      Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

ever play a les paul?
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Re: Different dimensions from a 25.5 scale to a 24

[ QUOTE ]
          I've bolted up 24 3/4" neck to a 25 1/2" body - no issues as long as they are both 24 frets.

[/ QUOTE ]
          I don't really understand how that would work. I mean, that is a difference of at least 0.75"/2 = over 10 mm. Can you adjust the saddles to make up for the difference?

Comment

Re: Different dimensions from a 25.5 scale to a 24

Most 24-3/4" scale guitars are actually 24.625", that's almost an inch shorter than a Strat scale. I'm not sure how you can interchange the necks without intonation problems.

Measure the distance between the back of the nut to the center of the 12th fret, that is the distance the bridge needs to be between the 12th fret and the bridge saddles.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              ever play a les paul?

[/ QUOTE ]

Acually... no! Jackson pretty much all my life (Ibanez RG and Epi Strat for the first year about 9 years ago). I only have one friend that plays any instruments (guitar) so as you can imagine, I never get to use any other equipment but my own, which is why Im only comfortable on my guitars. This is why my experience is also quite limited... IMO, its easier to learn from/with someone else, influences and such, having noone to do that with has definatley held me back. But I guess thats for another thread. [img]/images/graemlins/brow.gif[/img]

Comment

Guys, I was puzzled by this myself until someone on the forum explained the NUT moved closer to the bridge as well. Everything is moving closer to the bridge - relatively.

There was some intonating needed, but nothing the JT580 crapola bridge couldn't handle. Mostly everything had to back up some.

Difference in scales? Well, I have a lot more Gibsons than Jacksons, and two Jacksons are Fusions, but I grew up with a 25 1/2" long scale most of my guitar life.

I have both a Jackson Fusion Professional and a USA DK-1 - both similar profiles. The Crazy Train intro is a little easier on the shorter scale (I have small hands), but not enough to really make a big deal for me. Same with the tone. There are many more factors that seem to impact the tone more (like pickups).

Comment

Going back to your question of a measurement from bridge to neck pocket...that is not really the measurement you need. Neck pockets and neck heels are not all the same by all manufacturers...some necks have overhanging fretboards, some don't. Some have flat ends on the heels, some don't. Also, there's also the issue of 22 fret neck or body pocket and 24 fret neck or body pocket.

LexLuthier said it correctly...you need to worry about the distance from the 12th fret to the bridge. On a 24-3/4" scale, that distance is 12-3/8" (and remember, this number is the same no matter if its a 22 fret neck or 24 fret neck). Place the neck into the body pocket, then measure from 12th fret to bridge. If you get 12-3/8" and have some room for back and forth movement of the saddles for intonation, then you're all set. If you get a measurement for example of 12-5/8" (or about 1/4" too long off), then you'd have to cut/rout the body pocket 1/4" more towards the bridge, etc.

Comment

Don, dont tell me your bidding on the neck Ive been waiting to bid on... thats the whole reason I started the thread! Haha no biggy though, Id rather feel one before buying it anyways. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I was just going to start a thread in e-fraid of ebay...

Are you the one who outbid me?

Comment

Yeah acually... I was gonna start a thread there too, but I didnt want anyone else to take it! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Go for it though, if you really want it... Im more of a reverse headstock kinda guy anyways. I only bid $152 so bid another dollar and its yours. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

If you are serious about wanting it, I'll bow out. My Fusion neck has a headstock repair on the low 'E' tuner, so I was going to buy, swap, and sell.

Comment

Nope, after thinking about it, shes all yours! I wanted to custom match the headstock to the quilted top Im putting on, and theres no way Id be able to rip apart a neck that nice. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X