Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 many Fusions.. too many decisions

I need a few tech tips on my 2 Fusions.

I got another Fusion Special yesterday. It's darn near identical to my older one. Old is top, new is bottom:

The new one is visually in nice shape but I quickly noticed while yanking on the Floyd, the neck creaked like an old rocking chair. It had alot of play in it side to side too. I took it apart. The coarse threaded Charvel-Floyd (locking trem) pivot posts are loose, unlike my other Fusion that has fine threads (non-locking Charvel-Floyd) and it's tight. I removed the humb. pickup and it has no ID on it. Anyone know what it is?

I replaced the neck with my other Fusion Special neck that was in better shape. Tightened it down and no more creaks. BTW - Is there any secret to installing a neck? I was thinking, before I commit to strings, filling the holes slightly with a toothpick and carpenters glue to give the screws a fresh bite, then clamping the neck tightly before putting in the screws. Is there a certain order (like an engine head) I should torque them?

Out of curiosity, I tried the creaky neck on my old Fusion. It was so tight fitting that I would have needed a rubber mallet to get it in. Strange inconsistancies between 2 identical necks.

Currently, the older Fusion Special is in pieces awaiting paint. It was the victim of a bad idea I had long ago. My goal is to save both but if I can't, I'm willing to combine parts and make one good guitar. So now I've got a mixed bag of Fusion parts and looking for tech advice.

Here's a rundown of my parts:
    1 ???? Humbucker
    1 Duncan SH-8
    1. DiMarzio hotrail
    1 Charvel single
    2 Charvel Floyds 1 single lock, 1 double lock - both black
    2 24 fret necks - 1 is dented, glossy, and questionable. The other has minor hockey tip damage, no dents, sanded smooth, and I know it's in good shape.
    2 Fusion Special bodies - 1 is flawless in color has some minor stress cracks where the neck bolts. Similar to the cracks seen on old Ibanez Jems. They don't go though so I think it's all cosmetic. 1 is sanded, a poorly routed humbucker hole has been filled, various pickguard holes filled. Neck PU is routed for aftermarket singles.
    1 set of perfect tuners, 1 set not perfect.

Sorry so long.

Re: 2 many Fusions.. too many decisions

Not really sure what to say. I have a Charvel Fusion Deluxe (cobalt blue I think) and it comes with the J90C and Jackson hot rails.

I have another Charvel Fusion Deluxe in red like yours, but I bought the body by itself and bolted up a Jackson Fusion Professional neck to it. No issues. It has an EMG81 and an EMG-S.

The only odd thing I noticed is one body had an "oversized" humbucker hole and the other didn't.

Comment

I don't know much to suggest, although I'm a big fan of Dimarzio Tone Zone pickups in the bridge position. It appears you have quite a bit to work with to at least put together one "good" one, and maybe if you pick up a few other things, you'll have a decent back up.

On a selfish note, I would say sell one of the bodies to me! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I've always thought dickering around with pu's, etc. was kinda part of the fun.....Good luck with your project!

Comment

Hard to be sure, but the blade pickup might be an Ibanez V5. I have one that I took out of an old Destroyer. No logo on the bottom.

Comment

I took the new body (with humb) to my neighbor. He's using it to get some measurements and make a humb template. Then he'll practice routing on scrap wood before trying on the sanded Fusion body. To save him time, anyone have a template and dimensions?
          If this all turns out, I'm spraying Mopar Grabber Green paint on it. Closest color to Vai green I have found on a shelf. If it becomes a pain - that body and the parts I don't want are getting thrown in a case and headed to eBay.

Comment

1. Stew-mac has templates, but I think your buddy has it under control.
            2. Why not Hemi Orange?
            3. Why not give the parts a chance here on the classifieds? At the worst, it's just a waste of time.

Comment

2. Why not Hemi Orange?

Because fluro green is awesome [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

HEY! I just read the new classified rules. Seems I can post ads now on the "new" board. Cool. I promise, if I get in a rut with these guitar projects, I'll post the parts that piss me off on here Afterall.. I'm a guitar player, not a repairman or collector.

Comment

Working...
                X