Want old P/U back in my 1980 Star

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want old P/U back in my 1980 Star

I need a bridge position dimarzio back in my 1980 star, but I can't find the right one. The neck P/U is still original and it matched the old bridge, which was creme. My guitar has two mini toggles as well as three brass dome knobs. Do I need a "dual Sound" type P/U to use the toggles? or will a regular PAF or SD still be able to use the toggles? will the neck P/U say what model number it is if I take it out? If so, where? clueless!

Re: Want old P/U back in my 1980 Star

Assuming the mini toggles are for coil splitting, then a regular PAF or SD should work fine as I believe those are both 4 conductor pickups. The neck pickup should have a sticker with the model number on the base plate on the underside of the pickup.

Comment

If you want an original you will need a Dual Sound. If you go for a new one you can go with a SD.

Comment

Dimarzio stamps their model numbers into the baseplate itself, no?
        Or were they doing stickers back then?
        I dunno, I'm a Duncan snob [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Anyhoo, if you've got 3-position mini toggles, chances are they're set up for coil splitting, but from what I've seen those older models usually had just on/off switches, so whether you get a 4-conductor or 2-condutor would make little difference.

You can play around with wiring schemes and new switches to get all kinds of krazy phasing and splitting, but you would need on/on/on or on/off/on or on/on switches for that.

BTW, the switches should be stamped on the side if they're on/on or on/off
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

I dunno, I'm a Duncan snob [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] So am I. I have no idea if DiMarzio used stickers or stamped them in. Either way, the number should be on the underside of the pickup.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I hear ya about the Duncans, that's what is in there now, but it's black and doesn't look good. I want the guitar to be a bit more original. The dual sound looks just like it. But so do a few others.

Comment

BTW the switches are very small silver ones, i can't see where there would be room for any writing... [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] Maybe you mean that info. is on the bottom if I take it out of the guitar? As you can see i'm not too swift about this stuff!

Comment

last bit... I took out the bridge pickup & it says only "Dimarzio pickups made in the U.S.A.". And the mini switches both say "on/off/on".

Comment

Does the hum have allen head adjustable poles or regular screws/flat poles??

Allen head poles means it's a Super Distortion if two conductor & Dual Sound if four conductor!!

If it has regular screws/flat poles it is a PAF!!

Has to be one of the three if it's an original 80s Dimarzio pickup as that is the only hums they offered in this style at the time(IIRC!!)!!

I have several old Dimarzios that are not stamped or stickered with a model name or #,not uncommon!!

If you want to use an old Dimarzio you'll need a four conductor model hum(no Super Distortion)to use the on/off/on mini switches,but if you use a modern Dimarzio you can get any model as they are all offered in four conductor now!!

Hope that helps guitarmart!!& BTW,where are the pics of this Star??C'mon man....pics!!LOL!!

Comment

Allen head poles for sure. I think I'll go with the dual sound, thanks so much! The star is solid orange with a matching headstock. I would like to show a photo, but I'm a bit green about attatching a picture. Instructions anyone?

Comment

http://www.jcfonline.com/ubbthreads/...&page=0#370213

Comment

Thanks Travis- 3 photos, brass nut! http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...t/charvel3.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...t/charvel2.jpg
                        http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...t/charvel1.jpg

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          Allen head poles means it's a Super Distortion if two conductor & Dual Sound if four conductor!!

[/ QUOTE ]
                          Actually, the Super D has been 4-conductor for a very long time now and will do the job. The Dual Sound was made and given a mini switch to do the coil splitting, but since the SD is now 4-conductor, it's basically the same thing. Also, you can still order a Dual Sound from DiMarzio if you want. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

"if you use a modern Dimarzio you can get any model as they are all offered in four conductor now!!"

I know Joe!!LOL!!

Beautiful Star guitarmart,great color!!IIRC,this is one of two orange Stars from 81',the other is on the 81' Charvel Flyer!!

Comment

yeah I guess 1981 sounds about right. The pots are Dimarzio and are dated 1980. So I guess they would have used that batch on the next year's worth at least. I bought it in 1982 new from a store.

Comment

Working...
                              X