Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup help needed... (emg related)

Hi Dudes.

I need you to recomend me a neck pickup for my neckthrough rhoads ( poplar , maple neck , rosewood, floyd if that matters) .

Due to the body size of the RR i don't think that passives would be the best solution (altough i might be wrong - but then i'm happy with the 81 in the bridge except of mucho highs in it).

Gennerally something that has good cleans and good shred tones (sweep picking , alternate runs etc )

I heard the 60 is good for cleans . What about the others ? 60a ? 85/89? i think the 81 might be really bright but i only remember it's tones in the neck from a shitty basswood guitar

Re: Pickup help needed... (emg related)

Rhoads used passive pickups in his Vs - oughta work fine for everyone else. The Rhoads body size won't have much of an effect on the pickup's response.

However, the EMG 89 set to be split to single mode has the best sparkly cleans. An 85 will get good cleans, but won't be jangly like a Strat if that's what you're wanting.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

85 bridge with either an 81 or 60 in the neck. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

The EMG-58 is my choice for neck pups. It is a little "looser" than the 85/81, has a good dose of mid range, and a touch of nice high-end sparkle. Very bluesy, but with the typical EMG output.

Comment

I have a RR1, the shape of the guitar is not a limit from an acoustic point of view, I didint' like the original combo installed because the JB sounded very "hollow" to me and the Jazz very weak, so I decided to put the Zakk Wylde set, very happy about it, but if I had tthe choice of changing them I will opt for a couple of 85, the 81 is very dry.

Besides that, Rhoads work well with passive pickups as well, for a short period before the EMG ZW arrived I tried a SD custom custom at the bridge and an alnico II pro in the neck, very nice choice, so if you wanna change your pickups a wise choice is to understand what you want and what you wanna get without thinking about passive/active dilemma...
          '90 (8?) Jackson Soloist Professional
          '97 Jackson RR1 Pile o'skulls
          '97 Gibson Les Paul Classic
          '92 Fender Strat scallop
          '97 BC Rich perfect Bich
          '99 Burns Brian May black beauty

Comment

For good cleans, the EMG S or SA (both single coil sized) is good, but since you have a humbucker mounting, best to go with the 89 like Newc mentions. It is either an 85 or a SA based on the pull pot. The switchable feature would be more versatile for ya. I prefer a single SA in the neck, so I put the SA in a special mount plate on my early RR: RR w/EMGs

Comment

Go 89.

Comment

Working...
              X