Recessed Floyd vs.Top Mount?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recessed Floyd vs.Top Mount?

Are there any advantages to either a recessed or non-recessed Floyd besides the advantage of pulling up on the recessed model? I know the neck pocket on a bolt on needs to have the angle changed for proper action. I'm getting ready to order a guitar with a Floyd and my current guitars have the recessed mounting pockets.
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Re: Recessed Floyd vs.Top Mount?

Take a look here:

http://www.jcfonline.com/ubbthreads/...&Number=524765

Comment

Thanks NOTP. I had searched it but, this one did not come up. I still don't see much of a difference except the non-recessed sits up higher and prefered by some to rest their hand. I worry about hitting the fine tuners on the newer OFR though.
      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

To me, there's not much difference between the 32mm block "fully-recessed" trem and the 42mm block "non-recessed" trem in terms of the ability to pull up. However, with all the 37mm block "semi-recessed" trem examples I've played (Wolfgangs), the trem sits on the body itself and I wasn't able to pull up very far at all. I'm not sure if that's the way they're supposed to be, but I'm a huge fan of the 42mm block length anyways. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

However, to me, there is a HUGE difference in picking-hand playability between the fully-recessed and the non-recessed. With the non-recessed, since my hand is higher off the guitar body, my hand doesn't bump into the volume knob, and I just like the extra height that can give you a little more room to really dig in especially if you don't have a middle pickup.

Others argue that because the non-recessed setup has less wood carved out of the body, there's more sustain/tone. Okay, whatever makes you happy. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

It's totally subjective. There are advocates for both setups. I've had both and can't say I prefer one over the other.

Sometimes you feel like a route. Sometimes you don't." (sung to the Almond Joy song).

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            With the non-recessed, since my hand is higher off the guitar body, my hand doesn't bump into the volume knob...

[/ QUOTE ]
            +1! Well, I still have a little bit of a problem with the volume knob on a flat faced guitar. But I found that when using an archtop with a non-recessed floyd (750XL): No problems at all.

I've had no problem with pull-ups either, although my Model 6 can pull up further than the 750XL (both are non-recessed...I think this is because the Model 6 has an OFR and the 750XL a JT590 with a thicker baseplate?).

On a fully recessed trem, the route does not necessarilly make it so you can pull up more - it's there to make sure you can pull up at all. It just compensates for the severly reduced bridge height. Different manufacturers seem to have different routes though. I think someone said that the Ibanez Vai models have very deep trem routes for extreme pull-ups?

Comment

I secretly blame Steve Vai for popularizing recessing the trem because he preferred his arm being at the same height as the trem. Bastard. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Yea, I also have a problem hitting the volume knob. I have the Wolfgang too and I can't really compare it to the flat top profiles of my SL1 and PC1 because of the arch giving greater height. I do really like archtops better than flat tops overall, but this one I'm building will have the standard Strat flat top. Interesting. I may just stay with the recessed since that's what I have most.
                I know Via does a lot of lifting on the bar. I always stay away from this due to the additional strain on the neck. I don't know how many necks have been warped or damaged by pull ups, but the mentality has always been there since I have my 12 strings tune to Eb.

Comment

Working...
                X