Most stable neck type?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most stable neck type?

Can anyone tell me what is the best/most stable neck construction method, and why?
    I see necks advertised as one-piece, 3-piece, 5-piece, and no scarf joint. Also, some necks have a volute near the nut. Being a fan of ultra-thin necks, I'd like to choose the most stable neck option in my future acquisitions. Thanks!

Re: Most stable neck type?

One piece necks can be fine, but certain things decrease the chances of a weird twist or warp. More pieces of wood help, because the pieces won't all warp the same way, so they'll tend to stabilize each other. Even a separate fretboard does this to a degree. Graphite rods also helps here. The scarf joint saves wood on tilt-back headstock designs, but IIRC there's no disadvantage to it. A volute is a plus for the naturally weak headstock/neck area.

Comment

Volutes help beef up the head/neck "bend point" on tilt-back heads (like Jacksons) but are usually only used for mahogany necks, as it's a porous, soft wood and easily broken.

With a maple neck, you don't need a volute, but a scarf joint is definitely recommended because if it does break, the seams are the weakest point and *usually* direct the break pressure along the scarf joint so that the fretboard is spared - most you'd hafta do is have the headstock refitted.

However, depending on the type of hit it takes, such as being stomped or fell on, neither a scarf joint, volute, nor reinforcing rods will save it.

But a quartersawn maple neck with a flatsawn scarf-joint for the head/neck connection is the most stable design for a thin neck.
      It just so happens that is Jackson's default neck design arrangement, so it won't cost you extra beyond the custom profile charge.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

As I look at Jackson necks, either they don't look quarter sawn or they are quarter sawn on edge, because looking staight on at the back of the neck, they look flat sawn.

Shouldn't the neck have long straight grains running the length of the neck (up to the scarf joint) equal-distant all the way across the back of the neck?

Comment

There are some awesome tropical woods for necks that are just as good as maple to, but your looking at a considerable price difference for those (from Jackson anyways). ALot of tropical woods are nice because they withstand humidity better and tend to warp less. However on the down side some of them don't take finish well and are very hard necks which can be a turnoff to some. Koa is a great middle ground wood in my opinion. Much more stable than mahogany for a neck IMO (though a well sawn mahogany neck should have no problems) and its a tropical hardwood so it doesn't easily warp or twist.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            As I look at Jackson necks, either they don't look quarter sawn or they are quarter sawn on edge, because looking staight on at the back of the neck, they look flat sawn.Shouldn't the neck have long straight grains running the length of the neck (up to the scarf joint) equal-distant all the way across the back of the neck?

[/ QUOTE ]

I know on my PC1 I can see the 1/4 sawn parallel grains. I don't know if 1/4 sawn necks are the best method though. Theoretically they make sense, however they can also split parallel to the neck axis in the grain. I think using laminations of different woods gives the best overall stability. Look at the old Alembic basses and what Jackson did on the SLS Archtop Soloist thats at Guitar Asylum. Also the point on carbon graphite is a good one.

Truss Rod design is another aspect. For bolt on necks, I like the Warmoth Pro design using dual rods and the Gotoh side adjustment at the heel side.
            Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Very interesting points. Thanks for the discussion, everyone.

Particularly after being recently impressed by the sound and feel of a graphite necked (and everything else) RainSong acoustic, I'm surprised that graphite necks (e.g., Moses) haven't caught on more than they have in the world of electric guitars.

Comment

I liked the Moses neck I tried, but it only comes in 2 sizes, neither of which was for me. And unlike wood, you can't sand down a bigger one to make it fit you.

Comment

Working...
                X