Taking off a fingerboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking off a fingerboard

Well I posted quite a few (yeah ok, a crapload) of topics about my model 1a to try to figure out what happened. The tech had a look and he found out in 1 minute:
    The truss rod is loose inside. Not that it's been loosened too much, but the whole thing 'floats'. When you tap the back of the neck, it makes this hollow sound of the rod hitting the wood inside. Also, the nut wasn't well filed but I had spotted this. W00t.
    Good news: I did make her play better, though still pretty unplayable. I had spotted the nut problem and I also had well seen that the frets didn't seem to be problematic
    Bad news: 200 euros wasted.
    On the JCF I'm on a model series neck that'll go on her and another Charvette neck that I'll then use for practise.
    Which leaves me with a soon to be neck-ed model series body (good body. Resonant as hell)
    And a spare neck to destroy
    How do you take off a fingerboard? The way I'd do it:
    1) take the frets, nuts, everything out
    2) run a razor blade around the edges of it to eliminate laquer or glue holding it together
    3) heat the end of it (latest frets) with an ironing thingy (for clothes)
    4) slide a razor blade under and very softly lift it up, going deeper in
    5) move the iron on very slowly, sliding the blade further and further, seperating the neck from the fingerboard.

But of course that's theory. Is this the correct way?
    Thanks guys

Re: Taking off a fingerboard

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/removal.htm
    [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

<font color="aqua">you're right on the money.....have a look here:

my wife the Luthier... </font>
      Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Ahhh thank you [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
        What's a putty knife...? Would any sharp but thin cooking knives work you think? Also how about a cutter instead of a razor blade? (trying to do it with hometools as you can see [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img])
        Oh and on project guitars they advise to keep the frets on... I'd want to take them off as practise, but is it better to keep them on? How about the nut?

Comment

That's my 'razor blade' and putty knife. The sizes seem right I guess.

I don't know if you can see that well on here but the fingerboard end isn't 'sharp'. There appears to be glue accumulated there or something. How to get rid of it? Would the steam of the iron make it melt and allow me to get rid of it?
          I'm expecting to spend at least 3 hours on it, but I don't expect to get it all done by then. I'm thinking more than 4 or 5.

Also do you guys know the dimensions of a Charvel model series fingerboard? I may as well get a new one after I take this one off (if I can repair it)

Comment

Working...
          X