Seymour Duncan "Lil" Pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seymour Duncan "Lil" Pickups

<font color="yellow">I'm sure some of you have experience with the Seymour Duncan "Lil" pickup series pickups.

I have an idea I'm thinking for my Strathead....but, have never used the "Lil" pups.

I'm getting the original pickguard, and instead of having another one made ($$), or cutting up the original( [img]/images/graemlins/refuse.gif[/img]), use the original and bring it back as it was.

What are your thoughts on these pups? Sound quality?? Quiet?? Aesthetics??

I'm thinking putting a Hot Rail's in the bridge position, and a Lil 59' in the neck, and most likely a STK-S1 in the middle.

I just want a very nice sounding, responsive, and versatile guitar, to play anything from classic rock to Rhoads/Scorpions stuff [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Thanks oh tone guru's of the Jackson/Charvel world [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] </font>

Re: Seymour Duncan \"Lil\" Pickups

the only one ive used is the cool rail i like it ALOT, in the middle or neck. it sounds like a nice med output warmed over vintage type, almost like a 59 but with more bite & not as smooth & singy. also from what ive heard that is what the lil59 is missing from the full size,its not as smooth & singy.

Comment

<font color="yellow">I had a Hot-Rail in my SD Jackson Strat, and it was a great neck pickup..just a little hot.

It could compete volume wise with the 59' that I had in the bridge hum slot [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I'm just trying to get some ideas, alternatives, view points etc. to make a better informed decision in this....I want it to be a "one-time deal" change [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] </font>

Comment

Original pickguard was modded Sam,it's HSS now so it'd have extra holes,etc. & some of those pickups wouldn't be era correct,depends what you wanna do!!

Comment

The Lil' JB is wonderful. I've only ever used it in the neck, but it is thick and creamy, with lots of heat. My Soloist has that in the neck, and it mixes great with a reverse wound Alnico II Pro single coil in the middle.

Comment

I have the lil 59 in the neck and lil jb in the mid position of my Model 6 and like both of them.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              My Soloist has that in the neck, and it mixes great with a reverse wound Alnico II Pro single coil in the middle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Alrighty, that got me wondering about something. If you have a humbucker in the neck, do you REALLY need a reverse-wound single in the middle? The pickups we're talking about here ARE in fact HUMBUCKERS that are single-sized. Just a curious situation, that's all. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

To get back on topic a little bit, I like how juicy the Hot Rails are, but they're still my first and only single-sized humbuckers so I can't give any comparisons. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] They do sound sweet when split to single coil mode though! [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Comment

From an aesthetics point of view, I don't like the looks of the "lil" SD's on a vintage guitar. It's just too modern looking. I like the looks of rails or a real single. Ask chuckracer what he thinks about the cool rails in the neck position. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  Alrighty, that got me wondering about something. If you have a humbucker in the neck, do you REALLY need a reverse-wound single in the middle? The pickups we're talking about here ARE in fact HUMBUCKERS that are single-sized. Just a curious situation, that's all. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, they are humbuckers, but they will not give you the Strat quack, no matter how you wire them, because that is a matter of pickup position, not wiring. I go with the reverse wound, simply because it won't give me the single coil buzz in position 2 and 4. I never use it position 3.

Comment

That answers my question fully. Thanks!!! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

I'm a big fan of Duncan's "Rails" pickups. I've got a few of each (Hot, Cool, and Vintage) in my guitars. The only "Li'l" pickups I've used have been the Li'l 59s. The Li'l 59 and Cool Rails sound similar, but not exactly the same. I prefer the Cool Rails for some reason, can't really nail down why. They are both based on PAF type humbuckers, so that's the closest comparison. The Li'l 59 sounds close to a full 59, but not quite a clone. The Li'l 59 sounds great split, and is just as verstile as it's full siezed version. The Cool Rails is good for just about anything, seems to be a little better balanced overall than the Li'l 59. The Hot Rails is the best shred metal lead neck pickup I've heard. In the bridge, it's very crunchy and tight, with great harmonics. The Vintage Rails is the closest thing you'll get to a true single coil, without the hum. It is very jangly and clear.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        I have the lil 59 in the neck and lil jb in the mid position of my Model 6 and like both of them.

[/ QUOTE ]
                        I have these in my jackson snakeskin strat and a duncan sh 11 in the bridge and they all sound great. the little 59 er in the neck sounds very glassy(tubey, chimey? what am I looking for here?) the jb jr in the middle can sound very "Stratish", I think they are great pickups, and very quiet as well.
                        with these 3 pickups in there I can get a great wide range of tones out of this guitar now.
                        If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          The Vintage Rails is the closest thing you'll get to a true single coil, without the hum. It is very jangly and clear.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just something to add to this, the Duncan Duckbucker is identical to the Duncan Vintage Rails, except for the appearance. All the Strat quack you could ever want in a noiseless single-sized package!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            [ QUOTE ]
                            The Vintage Rails is the closest thing you'll get to a true single coil, without the hum. It is very jangly and clear.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just something to add to this, the Duncan Duckbucker is identical to the Duncan Vintage Rails, except for the appearance. All the Strat quack you could ever want in a noiseless single-sized package!

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but the Duckbucker is just so damn ugly. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I've got a Lil 59 in the neck of my GMW strat and I love it. It pairs nicely with the full size JB in the bridge. Very "thick and toney (is that even a word [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img])" sounding to me. Not "thin or brittle" sounding at all. Hope this helps. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X