Tuning with a Floyd - Your Method

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuning with a Floyd - Your Method

I just got two guitars set up and am having a hard time getting them in tune without the bridge leaning slightly forward. What is your preferred method of tuning your Floyd (especially with new strings) and keeping the bridge flat. I figured there might be something I never heard or thought of before.
    "You have a pud..your wife has a face. Next time she bitches..I'd play cock bongos on her cheeks..all four of them!" - Bill Z.
    I just just had a sudden urge to sugga dick..! If I wore that guitar and didn't suck male genitalia..somethin' is very wrong! - Bill Z.

Re: Tuning with a Floyd - Your Method

I always use the same make and gague of strings, GHS Boomers 10-46. I have certain guitars I tune to E and some to Eb and I always use the same tunings. Once you set the bridge level (which is a trial ad error thing, de-tune, adjust the claw, retune check it for being level, re-adjust the claw etc)) and use the same strings and tuning it will be level every string change. When I have new strings I stretch the crap out of the strings w/o the nut locked. I keep doing this, re-tune, stretch, re-tune, stretch re-tune...you get the idea. Once I dont have to retune I leave the nut unlocked and play for about 45 minuts and do a lot of bends, fine tune and then lock the nut. 9 times out of 10 I never have to unlock the nut until the next string change.
    shawnlutz.com

Comment

Ditto what Shawn said - the only details I'll add is for the string changing and tuning process, which I do on a guitar with a floating bridge as follows:

- Take all the strings off
      - Clean the guitar and oil the fingerboard
      - Restring
      - Hold the bridge in it's usual 'balanced' position using the trem arm and tune
      - Let go of the bar (bridge should more or less stay put)
      - Tune again
      - Stretch strings and tune

The only other thing is that on a floating bridge, if all the strings are flat, I over tighten the coiled strings by a semi-tone or so, so that as you tighten the plain strings, the coiled strings are brought flat (i.e. down to pitch) - this saves so many repeat retunes!
      Popular is not the same as good
      Rare is not the same as valuable
      Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Its getting the floyd to set level that is time consuming.
        Because as already mentioned, its a repeated process of the claw screws and retune untill you get it level. Small turns of the claw screws, a slight 1/4 of a turn at best. Again, the reason why it takes awhile.

Yes, its very important maybe not each change of strings but its a good practice to follow nonetheless, clean the fretboard and oil it if needed.

If it happens to be one of those string changes were you are only gonna change the strings. Then do/replace one string at a time. I personally, change the g string first and work my way outward till all strings are done.

Note about some strings:
        The reason why many recommend using the same brand and gauges? The less you have to fiddle and mess with the floyd during string changes things will go much faster. Its about the amount of work being done.

Also, a valuable lesson to learn is not all strings are equal. A player bought a Fender brand of strings, and had always used Fender brand strings on his floyd, 9-42 gauges. He thought he would sample another Fender brand same gauge as before, 9-42. Put them on and had one radical ungodly extreme forward (toward the nut) bow/bend on his floyd and he freaked. He thought, "what the heck happened?" "Same brand same gauge what in the world happened?" The string tension itself (not the claw screw but the string itself, its tension ratio was different) wasn't the same as the former brand of Fender string he used. Again, not all strings are made equal. He went back to the former Fender brand of strings and all was good again.
        Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

9v battery wrapped in electrical tape, is place under the bridge, essentially taking all of the tension off of the bridge.

Take off old strings.
          Clean frets (not every change)
          Clean and oil fingerboard (not every change)
          Replace strings (depending on my mood, I'll run the ball end into the tuner, or cut it off and do it the way you're supposed to)

By this time, I've wound them, not in tune, but around the same tension they would be in, like it may read Eb B Db, but you get the idea. They are creating enough pull on the bridge, that the battery falls out.

I then detune the strings, and as I lessen the tension, the bridge pulls to compensate. Once the bridge is parallel to the body, it no longer pulls. It it's pulling up a little bit, I dive the whammy a few times, to make sure nothing was hanging up or whatever, and if it's still pulling up, I'll tighten the claw 1 turn or so, then try again.

Usually, I don't have to piss with the claw, but 2 times a year.

Do some wild bends, lock the nut, fine tune, viola.

Comment

Instead of the 9V tape wrapped battery, I use one of those pink rubber erasers - you know, the kind you used when you were in gradeschool.
            "You are so stupid that I am surprised you have not collapsed into a singularity of stupidity." - Anon

Comment

I use similar method as Shawn.
              On an OFR, once you get it setup properly, you never really have to touch it again.
              I use the same brand and gauge strings(GHS Boomer 9's) all the time everytime. Once it's tuned, the trem is nice and level.
              -Rick

Comment

Working...
              X