Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Factory clearcoat buffing 'ridges'

Guys,

I've noticed that on a couple of my USA guitars, there are parallel ridges between 1/4" and 1/2" apart in the clearcoat. This isn't too visable usless the light hits the guitar in a certain way, but I'd like to reduce them if I can....

I'm a complete imbecile when it comes to finishing, and obviously I don't want to damage the guitar, but any recomendations for removing these buffing ridges?

Cheers
    Ian
    Popular is not the same as good
    Rare is not the same as valuable
    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Re: Factory clearcoat buffing \'ridges\'

can you get a pic of it?

if not, you may be able to buff them out with a random orbital hand buffer ($20 at home depot) and some fine cut rubbing compound, finishing up with some swirl remover.

if the ridges are still there after, you can wetsand with some 1500, then 2000 grit paper, then buff it out as mentioned above.
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Sully - not a hope of getting a pic I'm afraid. You can't feel the 'ridges' at all, and like I said, it's only when the light or a reflection falls across the guitar that you can see them. Thanks for the tip on the buffing though - I'll look into that....
      Popular is not the same as good
      Rare is not the same as valuable
      Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

If they are visible then you aren't going to "buff" them out without wet block sanding. Are you sure they're not wood grain texture? I can't imagine buffing ridges being that close together and uniform. I suppose with the buffing wheels they use it's possible though.
        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Working...
        X