fret finishing question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fret finishing question

I just got a killer birdseye maple Tele neck from Warmoth. I opted for the gloss finish. should that finish be taken off the frets, and is that easy to do? does one tape up the neck to border the frets and use steel wool?

thanks for any info. [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]
    the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Re: fret finishing question

Yes, tape between the frets. If not, you will dull the finish of the clear and it will discolor from dirt and oil faster. -Lou
    " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

he's asking about the clear that's on the frets themselves, if i read correctly. normally frets are dressed and that dressing will remove the clear coat from the fret tops.

if you do decide to get the frets done (which you should), the fretboard should certainly be taped off.

sully
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

yes I mean the clear that is on the frets themselves, they are perfect frets other than the clear needing to be removed. I taped the board off last nite, and plan to use steel wool to remove the clear from the frets. am I on the right track?
        the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

While we're talking frets, if you have an older neck that have dull frets, is there anything you can use to "shine them up"?

Comment

steel wool will not take the clear off. gotta use mill files and do a proper fret job on them.

EDIT: if the frets are as straight as they need to be (which i've never had that luxury from warmoth), you probably could use a razor blade to scrape the clear down.

and to shine up old frets, you can do so with some 0000 grade steel wool, then take a buffer to the fretboard. makes them like liquid chrome.
            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
            Sully Guitars on Facebook
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Working...
            X