Why do my strings always break here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do my strings always break here?

JT580LP, Im usually pretty easy on the trem. But it seems like my strings always break right where they lock into the saddles and unravel themselves. Is this pretty normal or am I doing something wrong? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Re: Why do my strings always break here?

Could be a sharp edge or a burr catching the string at the saddle.

The "idiot" answer is me asking you a question, "Are you making sure you're chopping off the ball end before inserting the string into the saddle?" [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

You never know! Some people have been known to insert the ball end into the saddle. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Acually no, Im not chopping off the ball... Im lazy, so I string it through the tuner first leaving the ball up there, then cut it at the bridge. Same thing though, so yeah, theres no ball in the lock. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

BTW: Is there any downfall to stringing them up leaving the ball up at the tuners? Its always worked for be but I figured Id ask for good measure.
      Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

I leave the ball at the tuners too, though I leave some string length btw the ball and were it enters the tuner. Some have the ball flush against the tuner wich works too I guess. Having the ball there prevents me from accidently scratching the headstock face with the string end, or sticking my finger with the plain strings...Damn if that high E has stuck my finger more than once while trying to reuse and old string!
        "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

I slap my balls against the holes, too (tuner holes, that is). [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          My YouTube Videos | My SoundCloud Page

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Some manufactures reinforce the end of the string near the ball end, so that is the end you want going into the bridge. That is definately the end they start winding from, which means tolerances will be a lot tighter at that end. With some manufactures, like DR, clamping at the wrong end will cause the string to unravel!

Comment

Im using DiAddarios... maybe Ill try doing it the right way and see how it works! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                X