X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seymour Duncan Iommi

Can someone tell me the story of this?
    I thought Iommi used Gibsons...
    I can´t find it anywhere exept for the Kevin Bond Rhoads.
    It sounds awesome and I want another one.

Thanks
    Kai

Re: Seymour Duncan Iommi

Hmm, I love the Gibson Iommi. That blade pickup looks like the custom wound ones he had on the early to mid 80s custom SG and BCriches he was using from Patrick Eggle.

See this site. Looks like the same pickup?? Don't know much about it. Is it a new spec, or the old one? I thought Patrick Eggle wound the originals by hand?

web page
    When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

After looking around, the eggle guitars have pickups that look like those are 'jaydee' wound pickups.

web page

I still don't know which ones SD is making, knockoffs of the JD pickups or something else. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
      When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

Tony endorsed SD for a while before going to Gibson.
        ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

here ya go...there was a post made on the duncan forums a while back about his since a few of use were looking for them and the Vice President of Seymour Duncan "Evan Skopp" posted giving us all the real info on that pickup...

http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/s...t=iommi+pickup

-Mike
          www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

Thanks, hard to get I understand.
            So, Jackson had SD make a bunch of these for the KB RR then..

Comment

Ok that didn't make sense and the dude from duncan came off as a dismissive IMO. Apparently you have to REALLY know duncan to understand what the guy is saying and the thread assumes you get all of brief statements the guy makes.

What he said is they made the pickup for Iommi, but they didn't produce them in volume after iommi jilted them for Gibson.

Then they made a chinese 'duncan designed HB104' that doesn't use the same technology as the one they designed for Iommi, but they call it an Iommi when they feel like it?

Comment

how did that not make sence? it was all layed out for you.

to sum it up...

duncan made a few "iommi pickups" for patrick eggle to use in his iommi guitars but not for mass production.

then gibson got wind of the eggle project and offered iommi a sig guitar and pickup so duncan stopped making the pickups for eggle.

then they made a blade pickup for scott ian that looked like the iommi but wasn't at all an iommi. which the public confused for the iommi pickup due to it's looks. this (duncan designed HB-104) was used on a 5 string schecter for a short run also.

so, there you have it.

you can get an eggle guitar if you can find one and take out the pickup. you can hunt down one of those schecters for the one that looks like it (but doesn't sound like it) lol. or you can get the gibson version. that's about it b/c technically the duncan iommi was never made for aftermarket purchasing, only for eggle to use for the iommi guitars.

or you can call up the duncan custom shop and see if they will make you a pickup to the specs of the "iommi/eggle" pickup.

hope that clears it up a bit more.

also, Evan is one of the nicest/most helpful guys in the guitar industry i've ever spoken to and will always go out of his way to help where he can. i guess being that i'm an avid poster there for years i know what he means and how he means to say it and someone reading it for the first time may take it the wrong way or something...i dunno.

anyway, there is your answer...

hope it helped! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-Mike
                www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

It really did help,

Except they still offer the Iommi pickup in the Kevin Bonds Rhoads (or is it the hb104?) - GC website says it's an iommi - sounds like the marketing folks screwed up and that's what evan was joking about?

Then there's the little issue of patrick eggle's website mentioning the pickups were made by JD or 'jaydee'. No mention of seymour duncan on the eggle website.

That's where I am confused, Evan only told part of the story, and they still refer to it as the 'Iommi' on the GC/Music123 site and SD site.

I realize he was responding informally on a web forum, and sometimes being cute or funny can come across as smug or insincere, even with smileys [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Did Patrick Eggle ever actually use SD, or just JD - was SD hiding behind JD, or are these to seperate entities and the SD was just used temporarily?

Sounds like the SD Iommi was in and out of production quickly. Were there 10 made or 10,000?

Thanks for clearing it up a lot though [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Well, it certainly is not an HB-104. When you check out the Jackson Stars site you'll find the KBR there with the Iommi pickup called SH-TI1b. That looks like the model name of an USA production model of Seymour Duncan and not a Duncan Designed.

JacksonStars

Comment

There were only a handful of the Patrick Eggle Iommi guitars made. Eggle's web site says they used the JD pickups. Sounds like the Duncan thing lasted only a short while, though that thread on the Duncan board doesn't even bring up the Kevin Bond model, so who knows what's going on with that.

John Diggins was building custom pickups for Iommi as far back as the early '70s when Diggins worked for John Birch Guitars, before Iommi was even playing the custom Birch (and later JD) SGs. Look at the pickups in Iommi's late-'70s era "Old Boy" JD-made SG--those look totally different than the other JD pickups.

Comment

What I want to know is as if the Iommi pickup from the Eggle guitars is exactly the same as in the KBR. It doesn't seem very strange as the Eggle Iommi was also a signature production guitar and to add some, the KBR features only one pickup opposed to the RR5 which is in the same price range; Jackson can afford to throw in a custom design. I'm not happy with the little info on the Iommi pickup yet. There is no description on the net available.

Comment

Does the way a SD is labelled tell you if it's a production model or a custom model? I looked closely and saw there is that S-mark pressed into the plastic. Other SD's usually have 'Seymour Duncan' printed in white on them.

PICTURE

Comment

I'm sorry but isn't there anyone with an answer to the following?

[ QUOTE ]
                            Does the way a SD is labelled tell you if it's a production model or a custom model? I looked closely and saw there is that S-mark pressed into the plastic. Other SD's usually have 'Seymour Duncan' printed in white on them.

PICTURE

[/ QUOTE ]

Comment

Don't know. Maybe ask on the Duncan forum.
                              http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/index.php?
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X