Painting a guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting a guitar

I was thinking about refinishing a guitar, but after reading some threads here, it may be better to have a pro do it. Where is a good place to search for guitar painters? Auto body shops? Luthiers?

Re: Painting a guitar

Bump - If anyone had a guitar painted, feel free to chime in with your experience

Comment

I read a really bad experience by a guy in the Classifieds. Makes me worry.

I think it depends on how difficult a job you want to do.

I was going to have something done really special (graveyard / MOP cover), but damn, the price and the waiting list are very long.

Comment

Hey Crusher.. I'm just restarting to do it myself, but on non-collectable guitars of course.. I've done it with the spraycans in the past and maybe I'll use water based finishes this time (applied with a compressor).
        I don't have much experience, but solid finishes did turned out quite well so far, I just took my time and most important did let it cure for ages before buffin' out.. it's just a fun learning experience..
        So I'm sheduled for a EVH B&W finish (on a Strat copy) and a rising sun (on a Dinky style body I just routed out) this time.. other, more complex stuff I'm not ready for.. so I would say step by step, first a solid color refinish.

Comment

Me too. I've been taking pics. This weekend I shoot paint. I'm pretty optimistic with spray cans. It's all in the prep, technique, drying time. I'm doing 3 colors: The Italian flag w/Roman legion symbol in the center.

Comment

Thanks guys! Not planning on doing it to a collectible/rare guitar. More than likely, this will be a gigging guitar if and when I ever play out, so I'm not too worried about it looking spectacular. I'm willing to do the right prep work and paint it myself with spray cans. I'm not afraid to put some elbow grease and do some sanding, I just don't want to screw it up.

Comment

just remember to take it slowly, no matter what, and use no more than 1/2 of the can. once you get lower than 1/2 a can, you're not getting a proper mixture. so buy 2x as much as you think you'll need. also, if you're shooting rattle can clear, don't even think of wetsanding the clear until it's cured for at least a month. if it doesn't smell like spray paint anymore, that's a good sign that you're ready for sanding.

sully
              Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
              Sully Guitars on Facebook
              Sully Guitars on Google+
              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Since there is a finish on it already, do I need to sand to bare wood then re-seal it? If not, are these the correct steps?:

- Shoot with Primer, let dry fully
                - Wet sand smooth
                - Shoot with paint, let dry fully
                - Wet sand smooth again
                - Repaint & sand
                - Repaint
                - Apply clearcoat

Thanks

Comment

off the top of my head:

-sand flat, fill dents
                  -wipe body lightly with a bit of naptha to remove oils from your hand
                  -dab gently with tack cloth
                  -primer, then sand with 400 (stay away from the edges)
                  -color coat (2-3 coats should do it, you don't need to slather it on)
                  -sand flat only if it isn't ( if you have orange peel) and stay away from the edges
                  -1 light clear coat
                  -1-2 medium clear coats (after the light coat has flashed off) a few hours apart
                  -let sit overnight (or until it doesn't smell like paint if you're using rattle cans)
                  -wetsand if you've got a lot of orange peel, and stay way from the edges
                  -3 medium clear coats 3-4 hours apart
                  -let sit until it doesn't smell like paint anymore (could be weeks)
                  -wetsand starting with 1000 grit - 2000 grit (1000, 1200, 1500, 2000) stay away from the edges and use some kind of sanding block (pink pencil erasers work nicely)
                  -buff with fine cut compound (use a RO hand buffer or a drill attaching buffing pad like they have at stewmac)
                  -buff with swirl remover (use a new applicator for the higher grit)

a precaution about wetsanding; if you use water with a little dish soap; be VERY careful around control cavities, neck bolt/vol knob/floyd post holes because the water will always find a way to get into the cavities and swell up. some people use mineral spirits (but that will remove rattle can paint...) and even baby oil. if you use baby oil, be damn sure to wipe it down REALLY well with naptha before you shoot another coat.

if you're going to use rattle cans, you may want to check out www.reranch.com and use their stuff; they've also got a TON of information on there as well.

also, be sure to allow for plenty of swearing between some of those steps. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                  Sully Guitars on Google+
                  Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

One thing Sully forgot to mention is the importance of a sanding block in stages prior to final wet sanding. (I thought I taught you better Sully!!!) [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]
                      Don't just fold up the paper and start sanding, always use a block to keep the surface level. Level, flat paint is what makes the difference in a finish, and that rule must be adhered to through every step of sanding. Just get one of those cheap rubber ones at Wal Mart. It'll be quite sufficient for the surface area of a guitar.
                      My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

yeah, what he said!

sorry, i don't sand anything without a block... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                        Sully Guitars on Google+
                        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

If you sand it to the wood, yes, use a sealer. this will keep the grain from coming through and save alot of time adding extra coats and sending to smooth it out.-Lou
                          " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

Working...
                          X