Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with installing pickups

Folks:

My nephew just gave me an Ibanez RG guitar that is in rough condition. I want to use the guitar to learn how to instrall pickups and do setups. I have two humbuckers lying around and would like to try to install them. The pickups are a Dimarzio Tone Zone and Air Norton. I have the diagrams from Dimarzio, but they are confusing to me. Each pickup has five wires (black, white, red, green, and a "bare" wire). The guitar was given to me without pickups. There is a single white wire that I guess is coming out of the input jack and also there are two black wires soldered together (one apparently is coming out of the output jack and the other is coming from the back of the guitar, maybe the tremolo). The guitar also has a three way pickup selector switch and also only a volume knob. Which cables should be soldered together? What goes into the volume knob pot? What goes into the pickup slector switch? When they say ground, what are they referring to? Please help!

Re: Help with installing pickups

The white wire is the hot wire... the black are gound wires.
    Here are what the wire leads mean for DiMarzio and Seymour Duncan humbuckers.
    The bare wire is another ground.
    -Rick

Comment

Ok. So the black and white wires go together. After I solder those, do I have to solder them to anything else? To what should I solder the red wire to? What should I solder the green wire to? To what should I solder the bare wire to? What should I do to the cables that I mentioned are coming out of the input jack? One is a single white cable and the other are two bacl wires soldered together (one is coming out of the input jack and the other is coming out of the back of the guitar, I guess the tremolo block).

Comment

the black & white get taped off, or you can solder them to a switchable ground, that will cat as a coil tap. BARE WIRE gets grounded. green to ground & red to the pickup selector switch or volume. the wire from the trem is the ground. then you should have a hot & ground from the jack.

Comment

Ok. I know whaqt to do with the black and white wires. Whe you say that the bare wire gets grounded, what do you mean by that? I'm sorry for all these questions, but I'm still confused. Which wires go to the pickup selector switch? Which ones go to the volume pot? I take that the black wires that are soldered together (one wire coming from the input jack and the other from the trem) can be soldered to the back of the volume pot. What should I do with the single wire coming from the input jack?

Comment

The bare wire get's solder to the black wires.
            Here is a link that will probably be very helpful in your situation.
            http://www.1728.com/guitar.htm
            -Rick

Comment

Working...
            X