Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Small gauge wire for guitar electronics.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small gauge wire for guitar electronics.

Radio Shack has crapola. The smallest they had was something like 18, or 20 gauge. So what did i do?

I took a regular old phone cord, and stripped the insulation off it to get to the wires inside. They are perfect size, probably around 24 gauge. I probably have 10 or so extra phone cords lying around in the garage, so I have guitar wire to last me a lifetime. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Re: Small gauge wire for guitar electronics.

Nice... never thought of using that before. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
    I've got tons of those lying around... will save me a run to the store. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    -Rick

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      Radio Shack has crapola. The smallest they had was something like 18, or 20 gauge. So what did i do?

I took a regular old phone cord, and stripped the insulation off it to get to the wires inside. They are perfect size, probably around 24 gauge. I probably have 10 or so extra phone cords lying around in the garage, so I have guitar wire to last me a lifetime. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You can order Belden wire from Electrosonic in 100 ft rolls... any gauge you can think of...

It's what I use, 26 and 22 gauge depending on the job...

Comment

I use 18-20 with no problems. It's in my Strat, and it has a noticable ballsy sound. Prolly a combination of everything in the guitar, but that wire sure as hell is not affecting the tone [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I've got some other sweet shit too, it's 2 strand shit (by that, I mean 2 wires, in a larger piece of insulation) that do wonders for things inputs.

Comment

I have used the heavier gauge wire before, but to be honest, it becomes a pain in the nuts when trying to solder a whole bunch of heavier gauge wires onto 5 way switches and whatnot. It's also tougher to make the control cavity look neat. I just need to find a source for lighter gauge shielded wire now.
          Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

<font color="yellow">Another good idea is to check out new construction.....the electricians have tons of shielded cable for communication/intercom/speaker systems......and as a natural part of the job when terminating...there is excess.

You can use the shielded cable, strip it to get the individual conductors, or whatever you want to do.

If you're cool with the electricians, they'll probably give you free reign of the scraps and leftovers. That would definitely be enough to keep you occupied for a long time doing rewires or repairs/mods. </font>

Comment

Electronics surplus stores sometimes have wire on the cheap.

Comment

Working...
              X