Soldering question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soldering question

I live in a small town with a Wal-Mart.I was wanting to know if the soldering irons they sell are good enough to solder some electronics (pick-ups,pots,and jacks)in my guitar(s).The one they sell is a 25 watt one.
    Any body have any suggestions?

Re: Soldering question

They'll work fine, Bro!

Comment

25W should do the trick. I wouldn't recommend going lower than that though.

Comment

I'd try to get a 35 watt if possible. 25w takes forever when trying to solder to the outside of pots.

Comment

I got mine from Radio Shack. I think it is a 40 watter. Works well.
          Scott
          Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

230 volts, 52 watts here...
            more power!! rrrooo wwrrooo!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

With more power, you can get-in get-out quick, and nobody dies.

Comment

If you need it now, and thats all you can afford or find locally, then it should do. But if you have a Home Depot or Lowes around, read the DIY soldering sticky at the top of the page and try to get the items I recommended. .
                Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  If you need it now, and thats all you can afford or find locally, then it should do. But if you have a Home Depot or Lowes around, read the DIY soldering sticky at the top of the page and try to get the items I recommended. .

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm beginning to think that Rob has stock in the company that manufactures that $300 soldering station. [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm beginning to think that Rob has stock in the company that manufactures that $300 soldering station. [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="yellow">Bwahahhahahaha

I just can't justify spending that much $$ on a soldering iron that I only use occasionally...sorry...my $25 Radio Shack does just fine.....

Hell...for $300 I could buy a used Peterson Strobe Tuner...something I would use much more often, at least during setups and dialing in the intonation </font>

Comment

Haha nah, Im talking about the cheap Weller ones at the hardware stores. I dont expect anyone to be crazy enough as me to spend over $300 on an iron. Then again, I see people spending $3-5k on guitars, which to me is insane so... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                      Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

I bought This Iron for the little bit of soldering I do. 20/40W switchable, and it has a base with the sponge. Works great, I use the 20W most of the time, but being able to bump it up to 40 when working with pots is a godsend. I also couldn't argue with the price.

Comment

I use a Craftsman 40 watt iron, cost me $9.00 and has 4 different sized tips. Works like a dream for your basic guitar stuff.
                          -Rick

Comment

$20 butane refillable works great, dont think ide go back to electric ones.

Comment

Thanks for all the input guys.

Comment

Working...
                              X