Best Way to strip a guitar body?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Way to strip a guitar body?

What's the best method? With a heat gun and a spatula or sanding? Which is easiest? Takes least time? get's the best result?

Thanx a million

pirate-Thoraby. argh.

Re: Best Way to strip a guitar body?

There was a thread on this a few weeks ago....
    Here ya go.
    http://www.jcfonline.com/ubbthreads/...&page=5#506114
    -Rick

Comment

I tried all 3.. heat gun, chemical stripper and sanding.. nothin' is easy on these poly finishes they use nowadays.. I've used a combination of chemical stripper + sanding so far, but for my next project it will be sanding only.
      I have an electrical power sander, an electric palm contour sander (=very recommendable) and StewMac's drum sander for reaching the primer/sealer level, and then finish off manually to reach te actual wood (I always start with a new sealer, then prime etc..).
      Oh yes, and if I'm in a hurry, I don't strip a body at all.. you -or at least I- must take the time for it to get a good result instead of a damage case.

Comment

chemical stripper if it's rattle can paint, or urethane, and a sander if it's polyester. polyester laughs at chemical strippers.

and i dunno, i'm not into heat guns. it's probaby b/c i had to use one when i was 14 to help scrape paint off of the house before it was repainted. i'll never use one again.

sully
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I usually buy her about six or seven shots, and she'll take 'em off herself...oh wait, we're talking about guitar? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I've got a air-powered random orbital sander that makes mincemeat out of finishes. You have to be careful, though, or you'll start grinding the wood away with it.

Comment

okeysokey. Thanks for the tips.

Another q:

Is it really necessary to strip the finish if I'm gonna refinish? Can't I just put the new shit on the old shit? Or will I end up with a big pile of shit?

Thank ye in advance
            /Thoraby grapplehook

Comment

you can use the existing finish as your primer, yes, but if a guitar is refinned a few times in that manner, it may start to sound like ass.

if you do that, though, you'll still need to sand everything flat before you go at it.
              Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
              Sully Guitars on Facebook
              Sully Guitars on Google+
              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I'm sanding her. Thanks for the tips [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

why does the sanded paint smell like fart?

Comment

Dude, you'll fry your brain smelling that stuff. Get a mask.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      Dude, you'll fry your brain smelling that stuff. Get a mask.

[/ QUOTE ]

aw, but it smells so nice [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                      X