Floyd Rose II question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd Rose II question

Ive got a non locking Floyd Rose II trem that Id like to use. The knife blades seem to be hardened steel inserts that are just pressed into a cast baseplate. They look like they could use a bit of filing to make them like new again. Can these be removed or are they permanent. I know that some of the kahlers had removeable inserts and Kahler claims to have made the Floyd II so I was wondering if anyone had any info on this.

Re: Floyd Rose II question

Don't you mean Schaller?
    They are making the Floyd II...

The thing that has me scrathing my head, is that it's non-locking. I've been told that the current Floyd II is double-locking. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

I've also heard that the inserts are replacable, but I've never tried to take them off. Maybe you could get some answers out of Schaller?

Comment

Yeah, this seems to be an oddball piece. Its non locking. It does not say Schaller or made in Germany on it anywhere. Also, the block is totally unmarked, no numbers stamped in it or anything. It doesnt look like the one in the Floyd Rose sticky thread. It has a thread-in bar as opposed to the collared one that schaller usually uses. I thought I read on the Kahler website that they made the Floyd rose 2 for Floyd rose. I have a schaller made single locking trem and it is qiute similar to this one but this one doesnt say made in germany right by the bar insert. But it has the same saddles with the square barrels as opposed to the round ones. It also doesnt have the steel inserts for the saddle lock screws as does my schaller. It seems like a high quality unit though. I will have to post a pic later.

Comment

The very first incarnation of the Floyd II is a single-locking piece where the ball-ends would thread through the back of what used to be the string-lock screw which was changed to a squarish post. I never heard that Kahler made the first one, but they did have something very similar in the "Spyder". I believe they were made by Schaller because the design of the FRII and the SFR are very simlar. The current Floyd II is a marriage between the original FRII and the OFR.

As far as changing the knife-inserts, I'd say it's just like all other Schallers where the inserts are replacable.
        Occupy JCF

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Don't you mean Schaller?
          They are making the Floyd II...

The thing that has me scrathing my head, is that it's non-locking. I've been told that the current Floyd II is double-locking. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
          The original version of the Floyd II is indeed single-locking... the ball ends of the strings go into the back of the shaft where the locking pins would normally be on an Original Floyd. I've got one from my old '86 or '87 Kramer 600ST. It says Floyd Rose II on it, no made in Germany stamp on it. Not sure if the inserts are replaceable or not. I replaced mine with an OFR a long time ago, but I still have it laying around here. Maybe I'll grab a pair or pliers and see if I can pull the inserts out. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
          X